Ready for my first WSM experience *Pork Butt PICS*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheCook

Senior Cook
WOO HOO....Im off the next two days and I finally get to try out my WSM that wifey got for my b-day.

I wanted to try a brisket as my first cook but since I cant seem to find brisket for less than 25 bucks I opted for a pork butt. (I'll stock up on brisket when it goes on sale for labor day)

I stoped at Walmart on the way home from work and picked up a 10.22 lb bone in pork shoulder picnic roast. Tyson brand. When I saw it in the store the packaging said "100% All Natural, no articial..blah blah", then I get home and take a closer look at the same label and noticed it ALSO says "contains up to 8% solution..." CRAP. Im not suppose to get the enhanced stuff...right? Oh well..I'll add less salt to the rub.

After Walmart I stopped at Academy to see what kind of wood they had. I wanted apple chunks but they only had apple chips. The only chunks they had were hickory and mesquite.

Got a fresh back of Royal Oak lump. I plan on getting up early in the morning and fire it up. I'll keep you guys posted on my progress and hope to through in some pictures. I'll be reading the forum off and on throughout today and tommorow so if you have any suggestions through em at me.

Thanks

Them picnics are hard to beat. I like to give em a mustard slather and a rub. Put em on to cook for about 3 hours and then skin it..rerubbing the wet spot and continuing to cook the skin as a separate unit till the meat gets done and the skin gets crunchy. Bring it to an internal of at least 185. Slice and serve like unsalty ham. Yum yum.

bigwheel

I plan on making pulled pork. I already trimmed the skin off. That wasnt easy...I need to get some good sharp knives. When my wife saw it she said shes becoming a vegetarian! LOL..yea right!

Brian, I think the packer was about 1.80 a pound, but from what I remember it drops down to about 80-90 cents a pound around the "bbq" holidays. So Im gonna wait til labor day and stock up.

Im at 4 hours, 10 minutes. Pit temp is 248, meat is at 159. Is 248 too high?

When I put the butt on and the temp stabelized i tried to lower the temp by slowly closing the bottom vents. Now they're fully closed and its hovering around 245-253. There must be another air gap i missed. Its a little breezy today..nothing out of the ordinary though and the cooker is out in the open with no protection.

Your WSM will run a bit high for your first few cooks till the soot covers the shiney inner surface. I couldnt get mine under 270 on my first cook..your doing fine..

You are fine at that temperature. If you keep it below about 270 you'll do fine. Keep us posted. I'm taking the kids to the pool for a few hours. It is 99 degree here right now.

Here are some pics:

10.22 lb picnic pork roast

mustard slather and rub

RO fuel and apple chips for smoke (couldnt find chunks)

minion method, apple chips wrapped in foil. the chips still burned up quickly.

Lets get it on!!!!

4 hours

8 hours, 176F pork, 237F wsm

Do you guys smoke pork butts during the entire cook or just til the meat reaches 140? I used apple chips in foil and they burned off quickly...probably 30 minutes or so. I added more later but that quickly burned off also.

Love2<º((((>< said:
Do you guys smoke pork butts during the entire cook or just til the meat reaches 140? I used apple chips in foil and they burned off quickly...probably 30 minutes or so. I added more later but that quickly burned off also.

Couldn't you find hickory chunks there?

Yea theres plenty of hickory and mesquite around. But last time I used hickory it seemed to be too much smoke flavor. I was set on apple after reading a few articles about it. I probably should of thrown one or two chunks of hickory in though.

Love2<º((((>< said:
Yea theres plenty of hickory and mesquite around. But last time I used hickory it seemed to be too much smoke flavor. I was set on apple after reading a few articles about it. I probably should of thrown one or two chunks of hickory in though.

I'm not the one to ask about hickory since I grew up eating hickory smoked BBQ here in the Carolinas. I use four chunks of hickory for butts and don't find the smoke flavor too overpowering. If you're concerned about it being too strong, just reduce the number of chunks.

I've learned the last couple of months since I've had my WSM that I don't like to do things that require me to open the WSM when smoking butts. Adding chips or more water to a pan requires opening it and the temperature always fluctuates. I like to start it and let it ride for the entire low and slow period. JMO, based on only a couple of months of experience. I'm sure the more experienced guys on here can give you more informed opinions.

Diva Q said:
It still makes me giggle just a wee bit when people all comment on each others butts.
LOL

Well the butt has been on for 10 hours now and Im at 181F. Wife wants dinner not a midnight snack so I pulled it and wrapped it and put it back on. I plan on keeping it on til about 195-200 for pulled pork. Is that about right?

Back
Top Bottom