Questions on wood.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starwalt12

Cook
First of all I use a WSM 18.5. My questions about wood are as follows. Is it ok for the bark to remain on the wood or does it need to come off? I know wood is bbest for smoking when it is dry, but is it just as ok if it is green? I have run into all the oak, maple, walnut, and apple I could ever use as well as a small treasure of hickory. So I will obviously be cutting my own wood chunks from here on out, some of it is green, some of it is partially green, and some of it is good and dry. I live in Illinois and had a girl at work tell me that her husband was about to cut down a pecan tree. This confused me because Im pretty sure pecan trees only grow in the south. Well the next day she told me it was an english pecan tree. I'd never heard of such a thing. Would this be just as good as a southern pecan tree for smokin? Lol, I think that's it for now.

Vermin999 said:
I leave the bark on, I have always used seasoned wood to smoke with and no idea on the English pecan
What Vermin said.

BUT...

Ford? Or Chevy?

That's been my take on the whole seasoned/unseasoned bark vs remove bark arguments/discussions.

I think it comes down to individual preferences and the type of smoker that you are using.

BOB
who read a Vermin999 post and did NOT gain any wieght :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I fugured the bark/no bark was a ford/chevy thing. I have been using slightly green apple wood for most of my smokin. I ahve also used the store bought apple wood. I was unable to tell a differencr between the two.

Bark on or off doesn't mater but I wouldn't use green wood, it will probably smolder more then it will burn and could give the meat an off taste.

The flavor of the wood is in the bark. If a person aint got bark on the wood they might as well be cooking with cardboard boxes. For Pee Can the best flavor is in the nut shells. I think this be true of hickory too but I aint never had any hickory nut shells to test the hypothesis. I mean the species are kinfolks ya know?

Now im dissapointed i cut the bark off....I got impatient waiting on replies....damn. I just figured no bark was better since that;s how ya buy in the stores.....oh well Next time I'll know.

You are still good Starwalt
I would say that 70% of my wood has no bark. I try to only cook seasoned, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do. I do believe the seasoned wood burns more completely and consistently.

It's ok. Just dont do it no more. Everything will be copecetic.

starwalt12 said:
Now im dissapointed i cut the bark off....I got impatient waiting on replies....damn. I just figured no bark was better since that;s how ya buy in the stores.....oh well Next time I'll know.

Back
Top Bottom