question regarding minion method

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dfi

Cook
so i mentioned in my introduction that i just got a new chargriller with an offset smoker box. I am gonna do a cook on friday, a brisket and a couple chickens, I have been reading about the minion method and I am curious about how much charcoal I should expect to use. also how much should i put in the chimney?
do you soak wood chunks or put them in dry?

any advice is appreciated.

How much you will use will depend on conditions and the smoker itself. Just sart out with mabe 2 chimneys of unlit and about half a chimney of lit and see how it goes. You will have to learn the cooker as they all burn differently. Don't expect perfect your first time out.

thanks for the info....i am sure i will post about the results no matter how poor they are

I don't want to discourage you at all but you need to know that the Minion method was designed for a vertical smoker like a WSM or UDS or any other R2D2 type smoker. At least those are the type smokers that work very well with this method.

If you have a charcoal basket for your CG then you can expect to hold temps for more than a few hours but you will be tending it regularly.

Also, you need to plug as many holes as you can close to the fire box even if it means putting screws and nuts in holes just to seal them off. I also highly recommend the " extend the exhaust to grate level " mod.

Search for chargriller mods in the mod section.

well the first cook is underway and learing curve is right. I started this morning, based on replies to this thread and what i read here: http://www.homebbq.com/index.php/archives/82 with two chimneys of unlit in the box and put on a half chimney of burning charcoal. even with all of my vents shut I couldn't keep the pit temp below 375 so i dumped the entire fire and started over....I have a small fire going and it is holding at 250, still to high but i am working on getting it lower. have a brisket that has been on for an hour. two chickens that have ben in brine since wed that will go on about 1 along with a half dozen or so turkey brats.

the slaw and potato salad is done, the beans will get working about the time the birds go on. I will post pics later today unless i produce totaly unedible junk (which is entirely possible) I am certainly grateful for all the advice and since you helpful folks are not here, over the next two days i will eat a plate in your honor :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom