Question about wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pecan1

Assistant Cook
You may have noticed my username is pecan1 ...that's because I'm a pecan farmer. I've been reading a good number of post from the past and have noticed that the different types of wood that are best for smoking are not always available to everyone due to location. Does anyone know of a good sight for purchasing wood? I have all the pecan I could possibly ever need, but am curious as to what flavors other woods would add. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

I can get 50 pound bags of apple, cherry, maple, peach, and hickory for $25 each from a local place by me. Not sure what the shipping would be. I am sure they could hook you up.

Thanks guys, I' ve checked these out..just seems like the shipping kills ya. At those prices I have a ton of pecan wood that i cut in january that I'd be willing to sell. I'll check into shipping, I could sell it for a whole lot cheaper than those people are. If anybodys interested let me know.

Depends on where you are located, and what kind of wood your area has. Where I am I have to pay a premium for types like Oak, and Maple, but being in Michigan, we get Apple and Cherry for alomost nothing here.

My farm's in Georgia and I have 300 acres of pecan trees. That's the only wood I would be selling. I found that I could ship a half a cubic foot anywhere in the US,for 16 dollars (that's the shipping cost) I think I could charge 9$ for the wood to start with. It would be barkless and the weight would be about 22 lbs. If that sounds like something anyone's interested in, let me know.

Yep when I buy from Marks Tree Farm He'll ship via my FedEx # otherwise shipping is the same price or more than the wood. Keep looking in your area. I found a couple of places that I can get every flavor you can think of. They were hiding and unadvertised.

Max said:
Wow bob that wood is kinda pricy.
I haven't ordered from there in well over a year. Maybe the prices kept rising and that's why I stopped? I can't remember why.

Remember, your memory is the Second thing you lose.

BOB

I use Luhr Jensen Smokehouse pellets I would expect them to be everywhere. They smoke great. Cherry, Alder, Hickory, Apple, and more. Their chips are more like shavings and smolder really well without soaking but there Pellets are the best I have found. I don't want to spam you, but I do have a video up of The pellets in action in my side pot of my BBQ if you want to see it let me know. I'd post a link, but don't want you to think I'm just a spamming jerk.

Here's what My pellets are--http://www.smokehouseproducts.com/prod_list.cfm?categoryID=26

Back
Top Bottom