Question about pulled pork cooking time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sounds like you need a Cookshack! I hear there's a raffle on here for one somehwere. 8) :LOL:

Hmm... i don't have any experience in that... But I'd treat them as two
different cooks. Maybe de-skin the Picnic? I'd be nervous about all the fat building up in the pan as it cooks too.

You might find that the lowest temp you can get consistently in your oven is 250 or even above.

Where about are you in the mountains that they wont allow a smoker?

It will take a little longer than a single cut at the same weight.

I'd start looking for temperature after the 10 hours mark.

Robo-Chachi said:
I live in Edwards, Colorado. My homeowners association doesn't even allow charcoal grills. Although, I have a Weber I use until the HOA removes it by force from my cold dead hands. A smoker would be pushing it though.

My ovens temperature dial starts at 200, so I'm hopeful I won't have an issue keeping it at 225.

Did you know that before you moved in?

That is just sad!!! Sorry to hear that you have to put up with the loonies out there in Colorado. Did they give you a reason why they are not allowed?

Not knockin you at all. I just can't stand home owners associations. You pay all that money in county taxes, and then home owner association fees and you still can't do what the hell you want to do with what's suppose to be your house and property???

Stories like these are exactly why I live 30 + miles from any city on my own 3 1/2 + acres!!!

What about a gas or electric smoker? Would be better than the oven, I think.

Well, to answer the original question, I would bump the temp up to 275* and it should come out at an hour per pound for each individual piece of meat. So a 7 lber should take about 7 hours. Then treat just like any other butt as far as resting and serving.

As far as the left over ash, they make for great flower bed and garden fertilizer!

I agree, a gas or electric smoker may be a good alternative. Hell, even a stove top smoker would be better than just an oven.

Tim

Robo-Chachi said:
I don't pay any HOA's, well it may be in my rent.

There is so much forest out here they're afraid anything will start a fire. One of the guys in the HOA found out from my wife I was using charcoal. He said he wouldn't tell on me but told my wife "Tell him not to dump the coals onto the ground."

Who does that?!

If you use all natural lump its actually good for the environment to dump on the ground or in streams...and that is not a joke!!!!

Greg Rempe said:
[quote="Robo-Chachi":2x7qpsed]I don't pay any HOA's, well it may be in my rent.

There is so much forest out here they're afraid anything will start a fire. One of the guys in the HOA found out from my wife I was using charcoal. He said he wouldn't tell on me but told my wife "Tell him not to dump the coals onto the ground."

Who does that?!

If you use all natural lump its actually good for the environment to dump on the ground or in streams...and that is not a joke!!!![/quote:2x7qpsed]

Yes but it sounds like the concern is forest fires and lump (sparking) would increase the threat of what the HOA is trying to prevent.

CarolinaQue said:
Well, to answer the original question, I would bump the temp up to 275* and it should come out at an hour per pound for each individual piece of meat. So a 7 lber should take about 7 hours. Then treat just like any other butt as far as resting and serving.

As far as the left over ash, they make for great flower bed and garden fertilizer!

I agree, a gas or electric smoker may be a good alternative. Hell, even a stove top smoker would be better than just an oven.

Tim

Yup I agree but maybe a little longer than 1 hour per pound. Maybe figure 1 1/4 hours per pound. I'd put them in a BIG roasting pan on a rack so they don't sit in the grease thats gonna be coming out of them. To bad about no smokers!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom