question about pulled beef - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > General Barbecue
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-07-2011, 04:05 PM   #1
dfi
Baby Back


 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 63
question about pulled beef

I have never had super great luck with brisket and we all pretty well like pulled or chopped rather than sliced beef. I am looking for suggestions about cuts of meat to use and method. I did a couple of chuck roasts in a foil pan in my electric smoker that came out pretty good.

I am pretty well open to anyhing if anyone has any ideas
__________________

dfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:27 PM   #2
Baby Back


 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 73
Re: question about pulled beef

I don't know if it is permitted to link to another site, but I read alot about beef 'clod' other here:http://askabutcher.proboards.com/ind...play&thread=87

it is tough to find, but you end up with like pulled pork, except it is beef! Much better than a manwitch!
__________________

sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:50 PM   #3
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
bigwheel's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Foat Wuth
Posts: 9,951
Re: question about pulled beef

Its real hard to beat brisket. All you have to do it wrap it with some liquid and overcook it and you got mushy beef which can be torn asunder in any direction. Danny Gaulden did a side by side test on clods vs briskets and though the clods yielded a little mo copiously the briskets being a lot cheaper blew it out of the water for all practical purposes including flavor. Anything would beat chuck roast. I hate the texture of that stuff. It comes off in plugs or something.
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:07 PM   #4
dfi
Baby Back


 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 63
Re: question about pulled beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheel
Its real hard to beat brisket. All you have to do it wrap it with some liquid and overcook it and you got mushy beef which can be torn asunder in any direction. Danny Gaulden did a side by side test on clods vs briskets and though the clods yielded a little mo copiously the briskets being a lot cheaper blew it out of the water for all practical purposes including flavor. Anything would beat chuck roast. I hate the texture of that stuff. It comes off in plugs or something.
you peak my interest here....do you wrap it from the begining, at the end.....more details if you don't mind
dfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:22 PM   #5
Moderator
 
Griff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Posts: 5,564
Re: question about pulled beef

Pulled chuck is the way to go. Larry, help him out.
__________________
Griff
Friends don't let friends eat farmed fish.

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would do them harm."
George Orwell
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:33 AM   #6
Graduate of BBQ Central
 
swampsauce's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 725
Re: question about pulled beef

http://wolfepit.blogspot.com/2009/11/sm ... roast.html
http://wolfepit.blogspot.com/2009/10/pe ... -beef.html

great place to start.
__________________
Tim Pattan
www.swampsauce.com
Swamp Sauce Smokers
https://www.bbq-4-u.com/images/facebook.png
swampsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:10 PM   #7
Saint O'Que
 
Larry D.'s Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Clemmons, NC
Posts: 1,294
Re: question about pulled beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampsauce
http://wolfepit.blogspot.com/2009/11/smoked-pulled-chuck-roast.html
http://wolfepit.blogspot.com/2009/10/pe ... -beef.html

great place to start.
I'll second that. Pepper stout beef is good stuff. I found some leftover in the freezer last week and used it as tamale filling. Try it, you'll like it!
__________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"If we took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy, would it?"
Larry D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:56 PM   #8
Master of All
 
ScottyDaQ's Avatar


 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: In ur house, eatin ur foodz.
Posts: 7,490
Re: question about pulled beef

I'll chime in with Chuck for my vote as well.
__________________
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker ?
Weber 22.5 One Touch Gold ?
Weber Smokey Joe Gold ?

Weber Grill Decency Agent # KTL9352
ScottyDaQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:29 PM   #9
dfi
Baby Back


 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 63
Re: question about pulled beef

thanks for the help...i will do my research, give it another try and post my results
dfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:28 AM   #10
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Myrtle Beach
Posts: 14,162
Re: question about pulled beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggo
I don't know if it is permitted to link to another site, but I read alot about beef 'clod' other here:http://askabutcher.proboards.com/ind...play&thread=87

it is tough to find, but you end up with like pulled pork, except it is beef! Much better than a manwitch!

btw, it is absolutely ok to link to other sites here. That's one of the reasons this board
got started....free talk about cooking, with as much info as possible.
__________________
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:08 PM   #11
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
bigwheel's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Foat Wuth
Posts: 9,951
Re: question about pulled beef

Wrap the brisket when it hits around 160-170 in the flat. For the liquid I like Walter Jettons Mop for all BBQ meats. Recipe is floating around all over cyber space. Maybe one on here I forget right now. Put it back on the fire and pull it when you stick it with your gauge and it accidentally goes through both sides of the foil and bumps the bottom of the pit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheel
Its real hard to beat brisket. All you have to do it wrap it with some liquid and overcook it and you got mushy beef which can be torn asunder in any direction. Danny Gaulden did a side by side test on clods vs briskets and though the clods yielded a little mo copiously the briskets being a lot cheaper blew it out of the water for all practical purposes including flavor. Anything would beat chuck roast. I hate the texture of that stuff. It comes off in plugs or something.
you peak my interest here....do you wrap it from the begining, at the end.....more details if you don't mind
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:26 PM   #12
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Larry Wolfe's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bealeton, Virginia
Posts: 14,969
Re: question about pulled beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheel
Wrap the brisket when it hits around 160-170 in the flat. For the liquid I like Walter Jettons Mop for all BBQ meats. Recipe is floating around all over cyber space. Maybe one on here I forget right now. Put it back on the fire and pull it when you stick it with your gauge and it accidentally goes through both sides of the foil and bumps the bottom of the pit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheel
Its real hard to beat brisket. All you have to do it wrap it with some liquid and overcook it and you got mushy beef which can be torn asunder in any direction. Danny Gaulden did a side by side test on clods vs briskets and though the clods yielded a little mo copiously the briskets being a lot cheaper blew it out of the water for all practical purposes including flavor. Anything would beat chuck roast. I hate the texture of that stuff. It comes off in plugs or something.
you peak my interest here....do you wrap it from the begining, at the end.....more details if you don't mind

If you want pulled beef, stick with chuck. More flavor and cheaper. If you want sliced tender beef, go with the brisket for more $ and less flavor, unless you're talking about the point. I'd eat pulled chuck 10 out of 10 days over sliced brisket.
__________________
Larry Wolfe
Visit the Wolfe Pit
Wolfe Rub Recipes
Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:26 PM   #13
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
bigwheel's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Foat Wuth
Posts: 9,951
Re: question about pulled beef

When folks live North of the Red and East of the Sabine their thinking gets cornfused. They start eating grits and trying to bbq chuck roast etc.
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:57 AM   #14
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Larry Wolfe's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bealeton, Virginia
Posts: 14,969
Re: question about pulled beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheel
When folks live North of the Red and East of the Sabine their thinking gets cornfused. They start eating grits and trying to bbq chuck roast etc.
LOL You Texans are contradictionary (for you Jeff).........Beef Clod is extremely poopular in Texas correctamundo?? And where might you tink the clod come from? Why be it comes from the shoulder also called chuck.....Now when folks live South of the Red and East of the Sabine their thinking is just backasswards and they pull briskets and wear big hats....
__________________
Larry Wolfe
Visit the Wolfe Pit
Wolfe Rub Recipes
Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:56 PM   #15
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
bigwheel's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Foat Wuth
Posts: 9,951
Re: question about pulled beef

Well I aint never even seen a clod let alone try to eat one. It just sounds nasty. Nearly as bad as a knuckle. You can get them peeled if you want.
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:43 AM   #16
Cooker
 
BigAL's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W. KS
Posts: 292
Re: question about pulled beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheel
Well I aint never even seen a clod let alone try to eat one. It just sounds nasty. Nearly as bad as a knuckle. You can get them peeled if you want.
LOL, BW!

I smoked a case and a half of clods(about 120#'s IIRC) for a graduation party this yr. Could only fit 1-2 on 1/2 of the CS whole hog smoker. They can weight up around
25#'s each but most around 20#'s. Cut out a bit of silver skin, cut off this "hide" look'n membrane, rub it and throw on the smoker. Worst part is the chuck eye steak part gets over done compared to the rest, but it tastes so good. When I do pulled beef I will probably always use the clod because it's cheaper and you'll have plenty of leftovers to vac pac.

Just my opinion.


BigAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:10 AM   #17
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
bigwheel's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Foat Wuth
Posts: 9,951
Re: question about pulled beef

Do look a lot like chuck roast.
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:11 AM   #18
Moderator
 
Nick Prochilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Long Island, N.Y.
Posts: 16,367
Re: question about pulled beef

Plenty of clods around this forum!
__________________

__________________
I hope this isn't negative!
Nick Prochilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off







All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×