q selling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnnyReb

Senior Cook
how do you keep pulled pork warm and safe to sell it at a roadside stand and how much would you charge for a sandwich.... and a BBQ plate

Old chum named Tubby Daniels from up in the Panhandle used to peddle a bunch of brisket sandwiches at Traders Village in Grand Prarie. He would smoke cook it at home in his big log burner..cool it down and freeze in Food Saver bags about 2 lbs per bag or so..ice it down and hit the road. He start out by thawing out a bag or two of the stuff and reheat it on a flat propane griddle in the concession trailer and serve it up on a grill toasted bun. If it looked like the crowd was on a feeding frenzy he would thaw out some mo and repeat the process. If he had some he didnt use back in the freezer it went. He swore the smell would drive a person crazy. Sure that system be adjustable to pushed pork also. I charge 5 bucks a sandwich making sure you give them a quarter lb each. Weigh it with a scale till you get a feel for it. Sell chips and drinks. Forget about the sides. If you just got have something on the side serve up sweet beans and Sysco old fashioned mustard tater salad with aggs. Light bread and tea. I go 8.50 on that. You also need funnell cake...cotton candy..corn dawgs turkey legs..curly fries and fresh squeezed lemonade. In that bizness the mo stuff you got the most likely you is to make a few bucks. Thats whut all the peddlers say.

bigwheel

what if you put it in those air tight vacuum sealed bags and heated it in boiling water before you took it out?

I guess you would still need to keep it from drying though once you opened it. :?

Well I've heard of a a lot of folks doing that. I always had trouble with them bags busting open on the reheat cycle. Hard to tell when the goods inside was warm enough to eat..blah blah blah. I was mainly trying to use em to reheat chili..gumbo..and dirty rice. Maybe meat be different or maybe I was reheating them wrong. Give it a try.

bigwheel

I had a bag open up on me in some boiling water....now I double seal the bags on both ends and just put the bag in cold water and then on the heat.
It all heats up the same.....the temp of the contents of the bag is just a little less than the water...so if it gets to a slow boil, it's ready.

Here's another free tip....if you gonna potatoes that are different sizes,
if you start em in cold water they will all come up to temp at the same time...meaning they all ready at the same time.

Your welcome.

bigwheel said:
Well I've heard of a a lot of folks doing that. I always had trouble with them bags busting open on the reheat cycle. Hard to tell when the goods inside was warm enough to eat..blah blah blah. I was mainly trying to use em to reheat chili..gumbo..and dirty rice. Maybe meat be different or maybe I was reheating them wrong. Give it a try.

bigwheel

If you simmer VS a rolling boil, they stay intact. ;)

Back
Top Bottom