Q Joint from 30 years ago

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
There was this Q joint in Lufkin Texas that had been there for as long as bigwheel has been around. It was an Icon. This place had the best Po Boy sandwich.

The name of the Place was Wagon Wheel BBQ. It was an old building with a rusted pipe sign with a wagon wheel mounted on it. I think you could park 5 cars in front of the place at one time.

When I stepped up to order I remember seeing a large cut of smoked beef sitting on a wooden chopping block and being under a heat lamp during the lunch rush.

I think I remeber the employee shaving the meat off with either a knife or a cheese cutter looking tool. I really don't think they used an electric meat slicer.

The sandwich was served on butcher paper with potato chips. Seems that I remember a thin sauce in a squirt bottle being on the table.

I am going to attempt to track down the family and beg them for the details as to what cut they used and maybe the sauce. I want to think they used a shoulder clod but I can't be sure.

I am thinking that this was nothing more than pit beef but it will be fun to track down Mr. Wagon Wheel.

Well it's good know there is something good which comes out of E. Texas other than I-30. Wonder if that place was cooking with Pine? Everybody in E. Texas cooks with Pine.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Well it's good know there is something good which comes out of E. Texas other than I-30. Wonder if that place was cooking with Pine? Everybody in E. Texas cooks with Pine.

bigwheel

Happy to see that "Yankees" aren't the only region of folks you dislike... :LOL:

I have found out that the place has been shut down for many years. Someone in the family has continued on with a catering business. That is who I am going to contact.

As far as BW goes, anyone who lives north of Tyler is a Yankee. :LOL:

He is just Jealous. ;)

We had a long gone place called "The Chuck Wagon" They been closed for 40 years now. I remeber they had great Q chili & burgers, I think it was a drive in with car hop's.
BW they cook fish on a ceader plank, when we used to camp out we would roast hot dogs on pine or anything we could find.

Well I know once a person gets to Dallas headed East...they start running the risk of bumping into grit eaters. Gag..heave..sputter. Now SE Texas is purty kewlish. They got cajuns and stuff like that down there.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom