Pulled Pork getting better...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jambo

Assistant Cook
Well...this was the best yet....got the smoker up to 200 - 250 for around 6 and a half hours, internal temp could only get to 185 after that time and it had come off.....best tasting one yet though, would like to have gotten the temp up to 195 ish but ran out of time...hope the pics show OK below...
Weight was just over 2 kilo...used mesquite and apple chips and put a water tray with a beef broth in it below the meat for the cook...doing it again on Xmas day..!!

Last edited:
Looking good. Sounds like you might be having some heat production issues. What kinda pit you got? I done forgot.

Got one of these... ProQ Excel 20 BBQ Smoker | MacsBBQ - Innovative Smokers

Fuel was a good load of coco shell briquettes [down to last 4 bags] and topped up with some restaurant grade lumpwood, temp on smoker was around 200 - 250 for the whole cook but meat doesn't seem to rise above 170 ish....last hour of the cook I remove the water tray from the smoker so the heat goes up around 350 - 400 ish and then the meat temp starts to rise up......last one I took up to 200 before taking off and wrapping and resting for an hour

Any tips gratefully received.....:D

butt stall

anyware from 160 to 170 there is a stall in pork butts,briskets this is from evaperation in the meat this can last for hours be cool this will pass cook pork butts till bone is lose and will wiggle in meat brisket cook till you can put scewer in thickest part of flat like a knife in room temp. butter to speed up stall wrap in alum. foil or alum. pan covered with foil should be done about 195 to 205 cover and let rest for .5 to 2 hr. for more info. go to amazing ribs.com good luck

Thanks for the replies guys...the pork shoulder I get in Edinburgh is boneless, will it be worth trying to get bone in..?, much taste difference..?

If I persevere with the pit at 200 - 250 then the internal temp of the meat will reach 195-200 ish..?....without me stripping out the water tray ?, which then takes the pit to 350...

Doing this again with a ham and some ribs for Xmas day

Thanks for the replies guys...the pork shoulder I get in Edinburgh is boneless, will it be worth trying to get bone in..?, much taste difference..?

If I persevere with the pit at 200 - 250 then the internal temp of the meat will reach 195-200 ish..?....without me stripping out the water tray ?, which then takes the pit to 350...

Doing this again with a ham and some ribs for Xmas day
IF you are cooking at the lower end of your temperature range (i.e. 200!) then it can take DAYS for your meat to finally reach 200 degrees. Think about it.

low and slow

:axe:low and slow win`s the race it takes about 8 to 9 hrs. at 225 to 250 to do a 8lb. pork butt with bone in rub slap on smoker you can foil or not i like to use hickory and apple

For cooking bbq...the best rule of the thumb is..get the pit temp up to around 60 degrees hotter than the anticipated final internal temps of the meat in question. For example all edible butts come in around 200..american Farenheits of couse..so you need to be cooking at 260 minimum. To fine tune it a bit..up to 325 also works on butts. Two ways to mess em up..not cooked long enough or cooked too low and slow. Now some commerical pits know that routine but most pits available to use backyard types aint real savvy and we dont usually cook enough meat at one time to make it a plausible scenario..amount of meat is critical under many situations. So..you need to either figure out how to get your nice pit to cough up some heat or snag the Amigo 3. That looks sorta like a stubby WSM..should work in other words. If it cant make heat either drag out your dill and turn the fire pan into a holey endeavor. lol. If the guts of the cooker you got now was visible..and have a narrator to try and explain the physics..might be able to tell why it aint working right. Plenty of air to fire cures most sad cases..also keep the dead ashes cleaned out. That can plug up small pits real bad. Keeps us posted. Thanks. PS..the rules above do not apply to birds. They need to be cooked much hotter.

Last edited:
For cooking bbq...the best rule of the thumb is..get the pit temp up to around 60 degrees hotter than the anticipated final internal temps of the meat in question. For example all edible butts come in around 200..american Farenheits of couse..so you need to be cooking at 260 minimum. To fine tune it a bit..up to 325 also works on butts. Two ways to mess em up..not cooked long enough or cooked too low and slow. Now some commerical pits know that routine but most pits available to use backyard types aint real savvy and we dont usually cook enough meat at one time to make it a plausible scenario..amount of meat is critical under many situations. So..you need to either figure out how to get your nice pit to cough up some heat or snag the Amigo 3. That looks sorta like a stubby WSM..should work in other words. If it cant make heat either drag out your dill and turn the fire pan into a holey endeavor. lol. If the guts of the cooker you got now was visible..and have a narrator to try and explain the physics..might be able to tell why it aint working right. Plenty of air to fire cures most sad cases..also keep the dead ashes cleaned out. That can plug up small pits real bad. Keeps us posted. Thanks. PS..the rules above do not apply to birds. They need to be cooked much hotter.
:drinkers::drinkers::drinkers::drinkers::drinkers:

I will drink to that

(at least the parts that I understood!);):D:D:-p:cool:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom