Pulled pork...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Griff

Master Chef
I keep as much bark as I can. It has the m ost flavor. After a day I vacuum pack and freeze. If it starts getting dry I add some vinegar for moisture.

I usually add some apple juice to it prior to reheating, and like Griff I usually keep as much bark in it as I can.

Get rid of as much fat as you can. One thing I do at home is sometimes I will finely chop the bark and spread it into the mix. When you go to package the pork, put a couple shots of apple juice into the package. Only reheat in a closed bag or covered pot. When you freeze it, do the same thing. I freeze mine in 1lb bags(vacuum sealed) and give it about 3-4 sprays of applejuice before sealing. When you reheat, it keeps everything real nice and moist and yummy.

I also keep all the bark. That is what I like the most. I get rid of as much fat as I can. I'll try the apple juice next time I vacuum seal the pork.

BBQ JIM said:
OK, question about the apple juice, does it affect the taste after you've warmed up the meat?

BBQ JIM
Lazy 'Que Barbeque Co.

Never been able to detect it...of course, if you go over board with the application it might change the taste a bit.

Even though you get rid of the fat there is a residual taste due to it being rendered while smoking. A little apple juice, or vinegar sauce, will eliminate that taste.

BBQ JIM said:
OK, question about the apple juice, does it affect the taste after you've warmed up the meat?

BBQ JIM
Lazy 'Que Barbeque Co.

No...not that I can taste. Of course, like anything, if you go overboard it might affect the taste. Just a few shots is all you need.

Back
Top Bottom