Pulled Chuck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gomer1

Senior Cook
Hey guys, looking to do some pulled chuck this weekend but I am having a hard time finding some instructions for this one and I haven't done it before. Anyone able to offer some tips on temp and approx cook time?

Thanks a lot.

Give it to the Little Bride and tell her to cook it in the house. The Lord did not mean for chuck roasts to be cooked on bbq pits. Just my .02 centavos of course. Why would anybody want to eat a pulled chuck roast? Gag heave sputter. I have a great recipe for cooking it inthe oven if you want it. It come of the back of the Campbells Golden Mushroom soup can I think. I also splain how to do it in a DO in the oven. Now if we was in boyscouts I could show you how to do it with coals..charcoal etc..but heck you got a high dollar oven right there in the kitchen. Now why not use it? Wimmen love to cook roast. It brings back memories of their childhood etc. Mashed tates and pinto beans on the side of course.

bigwheel

Cook with a dome temp in the 245º-260º range until you get an internal temp of around 165º, double wrap in foil and continue to cook until it's fork tender. I usually start checking at around 195º. When it's done you should be able to insert a fork and twist with little effort!

Hey Gomer, about 200ºF internal finish temp as a guide line. I'd Suggest smoking in the 275ºF - 250ºF range, leaning towards the higher end.

Between 5 and 10 pounds is a nice size ... smaller just doesn't seem to work as well, they can get dry ... larger than about 10lbs and it's not enough bark IMO. Try chuck roll or I think they call it 7 bone roast in parts of the US.

Any time after about 160ºF it's a good idea to foil the meat (not much point in being on smoker any more once it's foiled .. save your charcoal and chuck it in the oven say at 275ºF). At the temps I suggested I'd think 10lbs would hit 160ºF sometime after about 8 hours. Finished in about 12 hours total. (This is an estimate ... from memory).

Once it's around 190ºF internal start checking for for tender ... jab a fork in, turn it then pull. The meat should pull easily, if not cook it another 45 minutes or so and check again.

Once it's nice and tender rest it in a cooler for say an hour or longer then shred away.

thanks a lot guys super info as always, I will try and remember to take some pics but I have a big party happening and I am bound to have a few pops :)

np, BTW there weren't any posts when I started mine ... :roll: funny when lots of people jump all over it like that :LOL:

Between 5 and 10 pounds is a nice size ... smaller just doesn't seem to work as well, they gets dry ... larger than about 10lbs and it's not enough bark IMO. Try chuck roll or I think they call it 7 bone roast in parts of the US.
what I meant was try to get a chuck roll or a 7 bone roast ... they aren't the same thing but both work real well for this.

Well ya know Tom Thumb (Safeway) was running boneless chuck roasts down here last week. Prob end tomorrow or usually does. They charging 1.99 which is about a buck too high in my view but a buck lower than Albertsons. I may be forced to go snag a couple manana. Or might send the warden to do it..she aint been outta the house in a while. Most likely be good for her to get a little exercise and sun. Be my fortune the sale ended today etc. Now I'm gonna use mine to make Stoup. If I get some.

bigwheel

Shawn White said:
np, BTW there weren't any posts when I started mine ... :roll: funny when lots of people jump all over it like that :LOL:

Between 5 and 10 pounds is a nice size ... smaller just doesn't seem to work as well, they gets dry ... larger than about 10lbs and it's not enough bark IMO. Try chuck roll or I think they call it 7 bone roast in parts of the US.
what I meant was try to get a chuck roll or a 7 bone roast ... they aren't the same thing but both work real well for this.

Shawn that happens to me all time! Looks like you and I think alike when it comes to chucks!

I was chatting with Gomer offline and recommended he get a chuck around 8lbs as well. I, like you think those size chucks work the best for the reasons you stated!

Well the day is waning away and still aint got the warden motivated enough to go to Tom Thumb and snag them boneless Chuck Roasts for 1.99. Swear I am gonna backhand the fire outta her coola one of these days.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Well the day is waning away and still aint got the warden motivated enough to go to Tom Thumb and snag them boneless Chuck Roasts for 1.99. Swear I am gonna backhand the fire outta her coola one of these days.

bigwheel
When you do please post pics of yourself afterwards. I want to see just how bad see tumps you :LOL:

Now TK..do your really think a woman could beat up uncle bigwheel? Now maybe some of them world class wimmen karate choppers or Polish shot putting ladies..but I could whup the warden with one hand tied behind my back. Or least I think I could. She do have a little mo endurance than me. Figgered that out one time when I tried to chase her down the street back in high screwl. I was huffing and puffing and stopping to rest while she was still running. I was in good shape too. Maybe on second thought I best not mess with her. Smart thinning. Thanks.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:

bigwheel

An ta what funeral home should we all send flowers ta? You gonna sleep sumtime, an them women folk can do some serious damage with them cast iron fryin pans ya know!

Yeppers dearly deceased DIL forgot that lesson one time. He got stuck in the gut with a big butcher knife while cutting z'ssss in his own crib. It wasn't pleasant but at least he had such a big belly the knife didnt get past the fat..whew.

bigwheel

I'll take getting shanked or beaten any day over getting Bobbit-ized:

dre0760l.jpg

Gomer,

I made a large chuck roast a while back. If memory serves me, I followed a recipe from The TWVB board by a guy named Stogie. He said. and he was right on, that these roasts take around 3 hrs/lb.

I remember that there was ALOT of rendered fat and juice and it made some really great gravy, so, don't loose it. I used a disposable aluminum pan with a small metal cake rack ( to keep the bottom from getting soggy)in place of just foil when it was time to "foil it up".

Al

Uncle Al said:
Gomer,

I made a large chuck roast a while back. If memory serves me, I followed a recipe from The TWVB board by a guy named Stogie. He said. and he was right on, that these roasts take around 3 hrs/lb.

I am not discounting Stogies or your chuck roast Al....... but I've never had one even take 2 hrs per lb cooking at 245-260º lid temp. I typically find they take around 1.5hrs per lb in the ones I've cooked.

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Uncle Al":1zht6p6r]Gomer,

I am not discounting Stogies or your chuck roast Al....... but I've never had one even take 2 hrs per lb cooking at 245-260º lid temp. I typically find they take around 1.5hrs per lb in the ones I've cooked.[/quote:1zht6p6r]

Just to clarify, the cook temp was in the 225° range.

Al

Thanks for all the tips guys I am really excited to cook some pulled beef. I went to my butcher yesterday and they cut up 2 8lbs chuck roasts for me and they are beautiful. I have a crowd of 30+ on saturday to feed (there are some other people cooking too but I am pretty sure between this and the ABT's we all know who's food will be gone first hehe).

What do you guys suggest for rub for this? I am out of wolfe rub atm so I am going to have to improvise for now.

Thanks again!

Gomer said:
What do you guys suggest for rub for this? I am out of wolfe rub atm so I am going to have to improvise for now.

Thanks again!

Salt, pepper, granulated garlic and onion, keep it simple!

Alright Larry, you did me right w/ the simple Brisket so I will definitely give this a try.

Back
Top Bottom