Practice Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
I did a practice competition chicken cook yesterday. The chicken thighs turned out fantastic, however I would have liked a little more color!

BTW, check out the bite threw skin in the last pic!!!:Bow:

Larry,

What kind of wood do you use for chicken? I like the deep color that cherry gives to poultry. Give it a shot.

Al

Captain Morgan said:
great pics, how'd you do the chicken?

Cooked at 250* for 3 hours, sauced during the last 30 minutes.

Uncle Al said:
Larry,

What kind of wood do you use for chicken? I like the deep color that cherry gives to poultry. Give it a shot.

Al

Al I use hickory 95% of the time, I just love the flavor it gives and normally it gives me the color I want. But I know what I did that caused the lack of color and will correct it next cook.

I use fruit woods periodically and agree, cherry gives a nice deep color. But had I not made an error in what I did, our "Szecret Szauce" is very red, but it didn't stick this time and mainly rolled off.

Larry, why do you have the toothpicks in there? I'm sure I missed that in a previous post...I am doing thighs today and will try it out if it will give me better results!

I'm not a competitor so can't appreciate how that chicken is anything but awesome looking. I can only imagine how good it was. I still just dream about making chicken that good. Need an emoticon for envious.

Greg Rempe said:
Larry, why do you have the toothpicks in there? I'm sure I missed that in a previous post...I am doing thighs today and will try it out if it will give me better results!

Greg, it's for presentation purposes only. I trimmed any excess fat and skin from each thigh and used to toothpicks to hold the skin on during the cooking. You know how skin normally shrinks and exposes the meat? Well this prevents that.

Very nice !!!! The last one with the bite missing looks boneless. which I may try today.
Thanks for sharing.

I hate to rain on your parade here Larry, but I would think you would want me to be honest in my opinion and not blow wind up your already huge a$$.

I think the chicken is too blotchy in appearance, don't know if the sauce you used has chunks of "stuff" in it or what is causing it but the thighs do not have a uniform appearance and IMHO would not fair well in appearance scores. Just my $0.02.

Great job though on the bite through skin, there you have made it to comp chicken nirvana.

Bruce B said:
I hate to rain on your parade here Larry, but I would think you would want me to be honest in my opinion and not blow wind up your already huge a$$.

I think the chicken is too blotchy in appearance, don't know if the sauce you used has chunks of "stuff" in it or what is causing it but the thighs do not have a uniform appearance and IMHO would not fair well in appearance scores. Just my $0.02.

Great job though on the bite through skin, there you have made it to comp chicken nirvana.

Bruce,
I agree and value your opinion..............................that's why I said in my post "I would have liked more color". Meaning exactly what you said in otherwords. Yes it's very blotchy and I have figured out why it was and will correct it next weekend when I do it again. What happened was the original rub crust never cooked into the skin, which never made the skin tacky. That is what caused the blotchiness, because everytime I basted, the sauce rolled off and could not adhere to the meat. I have a fix and most of it was my error.

Other than that, the chicken as far as taste and tenderness was right on!

But yes, I agree it was very blotchy!! Thanks again for your honest opinion Bruce.

Greg Rempe said:
How do you make the skin "bite through" exactly?

It's in the "Szecret Szauce"!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom