Potatoes in the WSM

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john pen

Master Chef
Anyone ever do "baked" potatoes in the WSM ? Im doing a small pork loin tonight and tought Id throw some bakers in...Any thoughts ?

John,
Foil them and place them directly on the coals. They're done when you can insert a skewer easily into the tater. Probably 1-1.5 hrs depending on your cooking temps.

Try rubbing some butter or evoo on the taters, sprinkle liberally with seasoning salt, foil and cook untill done, add your favorite fixins. Great and easy side dish on a campout or anytime.

Loins at 156..did the potatoes in a cast iron skillet in the oven..halfed them and did them with butter...

If you want a baked potato skip the foil. Stick them in the coals and rotate periodically. Pierce once with fork when they're almost done. The skins will blacked and carbonize and be inedible (so servem on a side plate) but the interior will be light and flaky and very flavorful. Sweet potatoes are great cooked in coals too. For edible skin cook them up on the grate (they'll take longer unless you're doing a high hat cook).

I like them cooked in foil (I oil/butter/season like Dale) but potatoes cooked in foil don't really bake, they steam.

K Kruger said:
If you want a baked potato skip the foil. Stick them in the coals and rotate periodically. Pierce once with fork when they're almost done. The skins will blacked and carbonize and be inedible (so servem on a side plate) but the interior will be light and flaky and very flavorful. Sweet potatoes are great cooked in coals too. For edible skin cook them up on the grate (they'll take longer unless you're doing a high hat cook).

I like them cooked in foil (I oil/butter/season like Dale) but potatoes cooked in foil don't really bake, they steam.

What's the point in eating a baked potato if you can't eat the skin? That's the best part! #-o

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="K Kruger":akuk72ua]If you want a baked potato skip the foil. Stick them in the coals and rotate periodically. Pierce once with fork when they're almost done. The skins will blacked and carbonize and be inedible (so servem on a side plate) but the interior will be light and flaky and very flavorful. Sweet potatoes are great cooked in coals too. For edible skin cook them up on the grate (they'll take longer unless you're doing a high hat cook).

What's the point in eating a baked potato if you can't eat the skin? That's the best part! #-o[/quote:akuk72ua]
Then fire up your 1TG to 375* and cook indirect for 1 hr. :!:

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="K Kruger":1hxcksj7]If you want a baked potato skip the foil. Stick them in the coals and rotate periodically. Pierce once with fork when they're almost done. The skins will blacked and carbonize and be inedible (so servem on a side plate) but the interior will be light and flaky and very flavorful. Sweet potatoes are great cooked in coals too. For edible skin cook them up on the grate (they'll take longer unless you're doing a high hat cook).

What's the point in eating a baked potato if you can't eat the skin? That's the best part! #-o[/quote:1hxcksj7]
I have to agree with that. When I was a kid I would scrape out the potato and load the skin up with butter and eat them like a taco!

Finney said:
Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="K Kruger":2sa1tpac]If you want a baked potato skip the foil. Stick them in the coals and rotate periodically. Pierce once with fork when they're almost done. The skins will blacked and carbonize and be inedible (so servem on a side plate) but the interior will be light and flaky and very flavorful. Sweet potatoes are great cooked in coals too. For edible skin cook them up on the grate (they'll take longer unless you're doing a high hat cook).

What's the point in eating a baked potato if you can't eat the skin? That's the best part! #-o
Then fire up your 1TG to 375* and cook indirect for 1 hr. :!:[/quote:2sa1tpac]

I understand that Finnstigator! But that wasn't the question at hand, the question was "how to cook a tater on on your WSM", not a Kettle. BTW, I don't have a 1TG! 8-[

Larry Wolfe said:
Finney said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":13p0tuhv][quote="K Kruger":13p0tuhv]If you want a baked potato skip the foil. Stick them in the coals and rotate periodically. Pierce once with fork when they're almost done. The skins will blacked and carbonize and be inedible (so servem on a side plate) but the interior will be light and flaky and very flavorful. Sweet potatoes are great cooked in coals too. For edible skin cook them up on the grate (they'll take longer unless you're doing a high hat cook).

Then fire up your 1TG to 375* and cook indirect for 1 hr. :!:[/quote:13p0tuhv]

I understand that Finnstigator! But that wasn't the question at hand, the question was "how to cook a tater on on your WSM", not a Kettle. BTW, I don't have a 1TG! 8-[[/quote:13p0tuhv]
Okay then... crank up your WSM to 375*, oil potato and cook for 1 hr.

Finney said:
Larry Wolfe said:
Finney said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":31y3si1z][quote="K Kruger":31y3si1z]If you want a baked potato skip the foil. Stick them in the coals and rotate periodically. Pierce once with fork when they're almost done. The skins will blacked and carbonize and be inedible (so servem on a side plate) but the interior will be light and flaky and very flavorful. Sweet potatoes are great cooked in coals too. For edible skin cook them up on the grate (they'll take longer unless you're doing a high hat cook).

Then fire up your 1TG to 375* and cook indirect for 1 hr. :!:

I understand that Finnstigator! But that wasn't the question at hand, the question was "how to cook a tater on on your WSM", not a Kettle. BTW, I don't have a 1TG! 8-[[/quote:31y3si1z]
Okay then... crank up your WSM to 375*, oil potato and cook for 1 hr.[/quote:31y3si1z]

LOL! Nah I'll just use the Performer! :lcry: :lmao: :lcry: :lmao:

Did the potatoes in the oven to go with this pork loin I did in the WSM. The potatoes looked like hell but tasted great..

Back
Top Bottom