Pork Turn In Pictures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ya know, while arranging the box, it didn't look dry at all. Course it could have dried out some more while waiting to be presented to the judges.

Capt
The injection if was heavy in acid it could cause a mushy texture but I would guess it was over done.
I use thumb size chunks, only the dark muscles and would hit with thin sauce (not cooking in SC it would not be a vinegar sauce).
Dark muscles look more moist than the white ones also.
You can use the juices from the butts (if you foil and hold) to add moisture to the over all turn-in just don't over do it.
Jim

PS What was the sauce?

Thanks for the comments and advice everyone! We're a learning team! The pork absolutely does look dry in the pic's but it was actually very moist! This whole presentation thing is new to us and we'll only get better from here!

Another question... I realize you guys were in Myrtle Beach but did most of the teams you talked to use a vinegar based sauce for their pork there? Did you talk to any that went with a sweeter KC style sauce?

jminion said:
Capt
The injection if was heavy in acid it could cause a mushy texture but I would guess it was over done.
I use thumb size chunks, only the dark muscles and would hit with thin sauce (not cooking in SC it would not be a vinegar sauce).
Dark muscles look more moist than the white ones also.
You can use the juices from the butts (if you foil and hold) to add moisture to the over all turn-in just don't over do it.
Jim

PS What was the sauce?

Injection or finishing?

Mine was:
Injection was AJ and rub.
Finishing was AJ, vinegar, and rub.

my injection was app vin and aj with sugar.

mu finishing sauce was the same with more vinegar.

In SC, you can get mustard, KC style, and both vinegars. Most used
vinegars.

Thanks for all the feedback. Especially the specific feedback provided by Jim Minion. I will be adding that to my turn-in box checklist. :D

Smokehouse said:
Rich Decker said:
Wrong link, sorry I'm new at this computing thing.

http://www.lostnationvt.com/images/newholland05_43.jpg

Rich Decker
Lost Nation Smoke Company

Rich, Can't see the pics.

I liked the New Holland pics. Did you meet any Amish BBQers?

SH

You have to go to the site first... then the pic will work. It's a server referral thing.... Oh and be carefull of what you say to Rich about his stuff ... He's sensitive. :grin: :grin: :grin: :) :!: Just kidding Rich.

Capt
If you were to inject with a recipe that included pineapple or papaya juice that could cause the texture to go mushy. The enyzmes cause the protein to brake down. Meat tenderiziers are made from Papaya. From what your saying your finish temp went to high would be the logical conclusion.
Jim

Captain Morgan said:
my injection was app vin and aj with sugar.

mu finishing sauce was the same with more vinegar.

In SC, you can get mustard, KC style, and both vinegars. Most used
vinegars.

Heck I will never turn done Q of any type or sauce I love am all !!!! :grin:

jminion said:
Capt
If you were to inject with a recipe that included pineapple or papaya juice that could cause the texture to go mushy. The enyzmes cause the protein to brake down. Meat tenderiziers are made from Papaya. From what your saying your finish temp went to high would be the logical conclusion.
Jim

See Cappy, I told you to pull it sooner!! 8-[

Larry Wolfe said:
jminion said:
Capt
Jim

See Cappy, I told you to pull it sooner!! 8-[
Could have been that only the piece of meat Big GQ picked to sample was mushy. 8-[

There really isn't all that much to add fellas. Appearance is only a small piece of the total score. I thought the box looked better than average of what I normally see. Provided you wiped out the raw rub. We like to mix the spices with a little thin sauce and mix it in to get a moist look. A spritz of apple juice and honey or oil just prior to closing up the box is a must. Post it up for Juggy, see what it brings.

Good Q!

Jack

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom