Pork ribs and beef ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shootthebunnies

Assistant Cook
I am going to have my first attempt at ribs on Friday. I am cooking on a Brinkman smoke n grill (ECB I believe)

What do I need to do to prep them?
I have read a lot on the board about foiling them etc... When is the best time to foil?
Hell can someone just give me some tips so I don't royally screw these up!

Thanks
Willis

simple 3-2-1. Smoke them for 3 hours, foil for 2, them out of the foil for another hour. Sauce them the last 20 minutes. To start with, use a rub you like. Wolfe Rub Original is GREAT on ribs!

The only commercial rub available around here is Famous Daves so that is what I have unless I mix something up.

When you go to foil what do you recommend to put in with the ribs?

shootthebunnies said:
The only commercial rub available around here is Famous Daves so that is what I have unless I mix something up.

When you go to foil what do you recommend to put in with the ribs?

I've throw in honey, brown sugar and butter and then face the ribs meat size down so the meat cooks in the liquid. Makes a nice glaze on the ribs but, make sure the smoker doesn't get too hot or else all the sugar will burn your ribs. I learned that one the hard way.

Good luck on the cook Willis. What kind of rib are you cooking? Spares or Baby Back? I agree with Nick, 3-2-1. I usually go about 2.5-1.5 then about 0.5 to 1 depending on wine and weather. And that's cooking about 225.
Enjoy the cook!

Texas 1836 said:
Good luck on the cook Willis. What kind of rib are you cooking? Spares or Baby Back?Enjoy the cook!

I am not really sure I purchased half a pig and quarter cow. I never specified how I wanted things cut. I am really new to all of this.

How can I tell?

shootthebunnies said:
Texas 1836 said:
Good luck on the cook Willis. What kind of rib are you cooking? Spares or Baby Back?Enjoy the cook!

I am not really sure I purchased half a pig and quarter cow. I never specified how I wanted things cut. I am really new to all of this.

How can I tell?
I was wondering where my mother in law was!

Sent using smoke signals because I'm a cheap bastard!

Nick was she the pig or the cow? :mrgreen: Shootthebunnies here is a good place for some detailed instructions CLICK HERE there are loads of other ways to do these and other tricks but you have to start someplace. The most important part is to have fun, you will learn as you go, don't over think it.

Dont forget to pull the membrane off the ribs on the concave side. 3-2-1 is a good place to start, the last time i did ribs i did more of a 2.5-1-1 and those were baby backs. As far as what to put in the foil ive done apple juice, water, sprite, and root beer once. All were fine. The apple juice made a fantastic little "aujus" inside the foil when I unfoiled them. Ya know if a person was to take that liquid in the foil and put it in a small sauce pan and reduce it down a bit it would make an awesome glaze for dem ribs.

Hey Shootin..dont recall it being mentioned but you need to drill a few holes in the firepan on that fine cooking apparatus...if you aint already done so of course..or if its an old model with a hole in it those work great. They come without any airflow to the bottom of the fire nowadays. Makes it where you cant keep the heat up.

bigwheel said:
Hey Shootin..dont recall it being mentioned but you need to drill a few holes in the firepan on that fine cooking apparatus...

Did that right after my first ham cook. Why are people so down on this particular smoker anyway? I would be happier if it had a real temp gauge but other than that it seems to do the job.

Sorry, i just saw Your question back to me Don't want you getting information overload Shooter, so for now reading the labels on the packages is fine! I prefer the spares. Good cut for you to start with. Just have fun and enjoy it!

Well not sure why some folks seem to be down on ECB's. Most everybody I know including me cut their teeth on one of the gizmos. Tending the fire is a pain but the gauge is nice. Once a person drills the firepan they cook just fine. Be sure and reach in through the door and shake the pan occasionally to make the dead ashes fall on through so it dont smother the fire. First step if the heat production drops.

shootthebunnies said:
bigwheel said:
Hey Shootin..dont recall it being mentioned but you need to drill a few holes in the firepan on that fine cooking apparatus...

Did that right after my first ham cook. Why are people so down on this particular smoker anyway? I would be happier if it had a real temp gauge but other than that it seems to do the job.

Back
Top Bottom