Pork Loin - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > General Barbecue
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2006, 06:46 PM   #1
BBQ Central College

Pork Loin

I just picked up a whole pork loin and I cut it into a couple of roasts and some chops.

I want to smoke one of the roasts this weekend. What do I have to do, and how long does it have to cook?

JWJR40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:44 PM   #2
Official BBQ Central Mark

Re: Pork Loin

Well since there is no such thing as a boneless chop taking a wild guess we talking of a bone in model loin here perhaps? If so the best friend you got is a 5 buck insta read gauge from Wally World. Once the internal temp breaks above 150 it will turn into white pine and you be very fortunant if it aint still bloody around the bones. Best strategy be if you still got the band saw plugged in be to turn it all into chops. Give it a dusting of rub and cook it on the grill or fry em in the cast iron skillet with Crisco. Just my dos centavos of course.

bigwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWJR40
I just picked up a whole pork loin and I cut it into a couple of roasts and some chops.

I want to smoke one of the roasts this weekend. What do I have to do, and how long does it have to cook?

bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:44 PM   #3

JWJR40, take a look here

http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... orum=bbq4u
Old 08-31-2006, 02:46 AM   #4

John,
I agree with Nick's suggestion. I haven't done one yet but I've been really wanting to try that recipe, it looks fantastic! If you don't wanna go through the stuffing route you could brine the roast or you could keep it simple and just rub it down with your favorite rub and smoke it. Just don't overcook it or it'll dry out. Pull it at 155* internal temp and loosely tent with foil to cool before slicing. Fruit wood would be perfect for this, or hickory would work. I personally wouldn't suggest something strong like mesquite on this cut. Good luck, I'll talk to you when I get back from MB!
Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 07:22 AM   #5

John,

I hate to disagree with the Master "Rub" Bater, but if you wait until it hits 155, then tent it and let it rest, it will go to over 160 and you'll have seriously damaged a great piece of meat.

Pull that loin at no more than 145, tent it and let it rest for 5 or 10 minutes and it should be at no more than 145-150 when served. It will be the most tender piece of pork you have ever had.

I pull mine at 140 and they are juicy and tender with just a slight tint of pink left in them. I have converted my wife to not overcooking pork to the point you could walk on it, and she has finally come around.

Try it, you'll never go back!!!!
Rubbed, Smoked, and Sauced Competition BBQ Team-
22 1/2" WSM, 2 18 1/2" WSM's, 22 1/2" Weber Kettle
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 04:08 PM   #6

John, do like Bruce said!
Old 08-31-2006, 06:03 PM   #7
BBQ Central College

Pork Loin

What if I just want to pull it for BBQ?
Old 08-31-2006, 06:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B
John,

I hate to disagree with the Master "Rub" Bater, but if you wait until it hits 155, then tent it and let it rest, it will go to over 160 and you'll have seriously damaged a great piece of meat.

Pull that loin at no more than 145, tent it and let it rest for 5 or 10 minutes and it should be at no more than 145-150 when served. It will be the most tender piece of pork you have ever had.

I pull mine at 140 and they are juicy and tender with just a slight tint of pink left in them. I have converted my wife to not overcooking pork to the point you could walk on it, and she has finally come around.

hey Larry won't be back till Sunday night! Everyone can disagree freely for the whole weekend!!
Old 08-31-2006, 07:00 PM   #9

Quote:
My guess is that it would be awfully dried out.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:57 PM   #10

Quote:
John, there is no internal fat in a pork loin. If you took the internal temp up to 190 as you would with a pork butt, I doubt seriously if you would even get a knife through it.

Pork loin is a very lean piece of pork which if cooked to the proper temp can be a real treat. Rub it, wrap it in bacon, stuff it, glaze it, whatever, just watch those temps.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:09 PM   #11

JWJR40,

Here are two links of past pork loin cooks I have done:

Old 08-31-2006, 09:19 PM   #12

Well there is some who would disagree with this prognosis. If you pan it up or wrap it up with some liquid...it can be done to turn a loin into pushed pork. Now why anybody would want to treat a nice piece o hawg in such a shabby fashion I aint quite sure. If you treat it like a wrapped brisket it will act like one. It get real tender and soft purty quick. Just keep on cooking past that point and it will get pushable. Briskets work the same way.

bigwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdroller
Quote:
One does not use pork loin for pulled pork Q.
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 06:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B
John,

No problem Bruce, we're not always gonna agree on things. I'll try pulling at your temps next time. I pull the tender loins I cook at 135*-140*, but have always let the loins cook a bit longer with good results. Honestly, I haven't cooked a ton of loins so I'd go with your advice before mine anyways. The pic's of yours looked fantastic!!

John, the advice you've gotten about NOT making the loin into BBQ is good, DON'T. Look for a small picnic or butt and use that. I'm bringing some Q for you out to Dad's for the crab feast so you can get your fix then!
Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 11:15 AM   #14
BBQ Central College

PORK LOIN

THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE ADVICE. NOW IF IT STOPS RAINING I CAN TRY AND GET THIS ON THE SMOKER.