Pork for New Years!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did a ham last year about that size and I got a bad one the first time. I told the meat mgr and she replaced it no questions asked. Return it smoked and all.

Captain Morgan said:

Done! But there's a problem...when I took the ham out of the cryovac
it had a stinky smell. I cooked it anyway. Still smells kind of stinky.
Shoulder smells great. I'm worried. 17 lb ham.....hate to chunk it.

I'd be just as concerned with the shoulder. You cooked the shoulder on the bottom(?) and had the ham dripping on it?

Captain Morgan said:
Ham is in the trash.
Dang, that's too bad, Cap'n. It's good warning for the rest of us though. I don't have much of a sense of smell, and the odor of spoiled food is one of the things I don't detect. From now on Jody smells everything before the rub goes on. :|

--John 8)

Cliff H. said:
Sorry to hear that Cappy. Why don't you invent a reliable way to test for rank food. :idea:

I'd buy that. :D

I did. It's called a nose.

The stinky pork phenomenon is nothing new. I've cooked some
I didn't like that came out well, so I tried this one. Nope, even with all the smoke it smelled like tennis shoes.

Fed some to my neighbor, he said it was fine, haven't seen him since.

I just could bring myself to save it. Just didn't want to eat it.

i had some ribs once that reaked once unpackaged,smelt like a wet fart, but the sell by date was well in line and i had plenty of sick days left so i cooked it anyways and i didnt throw up even once :D

Bummer Cap'n. I've opened a couple over years that totally flunked the smell taste. In each case I had time to dash right back to the retailer and let them smell it. They promptly got a replacement and let me smell it before I left.

Oh yeah, it's not a good idea to post on a nationally famous board about rotten meat and then feed it to your neighbor.

Griff

Back
Top Bottom