Pork Butts Rubbed and Ready

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was good, some sweet but not too bad, not a bad salt level, but it's there, and some heat. Even though it says mild on the bottle I would give it a 5 on a scale of 1-10 for heat. It's probably the kind of heat though that you'll hardly notice after a long cook.

The ingredient list has Salt as #1, then sugar, brown sugar, onion and garlic, paprika, the obligatory "other spices" and MSG, if that's a concren.

Whats the deal with the Mary's Cherry ? Sounds like it might be really sweet..never heard talk about it around these parts...

It is really sweet and has a cherry flavor to it, like there might be some type of powdered cherry something in there. Ingredient list; Sugar, Brown Sugar, salt, onion and garlic flavors, natural cherry flavor and other spices. No MSG.

Bruce B said:
It is really sweet and has a cherry flavor to it, like there might be some type of powdered cherry something in there. Ingredient list; Sugar, Brown Sugar, salt, onion and garlic flavors, natural cherry flavor and other spices.

Could be cherry jello! :shock:

brian j said:
[quote="Bruce B":3k3wrv9f]Good Morning Viet....oops wrong movie.

7:15am WSM at 218 at top grate pork butts at 167, don't know how long they've been there but it looks like it's plateau land. Stoked the coals and boy is there a lot of ash in there...Kingsford...oh yeah.

At this point if I lived in Virginia I'd be foiling the butts.

Pulled pork for lunch hopefully.
watch it bucko! as you can easily guess, bill does not represent the "average" virginian. :LOL:[/quote:3k3wrv9f]

Oh boy, here we go again.

Here's a quick picture of the butts, they are at 186 now.

Mary's Cherry/smokin' Guns on left; Texas "Wild" BBq rub on right.

Well here it is, the butts on the NU-Temp probe got up to 188, I then checked them with the Thermpoen and they were registering 192-197, so I pulled them and taste tested each one.

The butt rubbed with Texas BBQ "Wild" is unbeleivably good, nice sweetness to the bark, great flavor, nice little crunch, then just juicy tender pork.

The butt rubbed with Mary's and Smokin' Guns, while very tender and quite tasty and very eye appealing if you were looking for any flavor from the bark, for get it. Very bland almost tasteless. I won't knock Smokin' Guns because of the success they have had a comp team and I would have to use their rub alone to judge them fairly. But this is similar to what other people have told me about Mary's Cherry on long cooks.

The butt pictured below is the Mary's Cherry/Smokin' Guns. Both are double wrapped and resitng in an insulated cooler for a couple hours.

Bruce B said:
[quote="brian j":6lpftpbw]that's got a purdy color.

It does, doesn't it.[/quote:6lpftpbw]
You did pop that chunk in your mouth, didn't you? :D

--John 8)
(Sometimes those barky chunks will make my whole head sweat. I love it. ;) )

Unity said:
Bruce B said:
[quote="brian j":293amg4y]that's got a purdy color.

It does, doesn't it.
You did pop that chunk in your mouth, didn't you? :D

--John 8)
(Sometimes those barky chunks will make my whole head sweat. I love it. ;) )[/quote:293amg4y]

Maybe I should have said, "It did, didn't it." :LOL: :LOL:

Here's the final pics of both butts pulled. I took a sandwich pic but it didn't show up on the camera...get one tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom