Pork Butt Overnighter...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce B

Master Chef
Two pork butts, 17.68lbs total, trimmed, rubbed and wrapped and ready for their big night, now back in the fridge.

Using Wittdog's Rub on butt on the right and KC Cow Towns "The Squeal" Hog Rub(thanks SteerCrazy) on the other. Getting these ready early so I don't have to rush. :LOL:

They'll be going on tonight about 10pm; using Basque Hardwood Lump with either Oak or Pecan and Cherry wood.

See's y'all later...

You're going to be munchin out good man!!!! Can't wait to see them finished!!!

SS

UPDATE @ 10:50pm

Took butts out of the fridge at 9pm, unwrapped and re-rubbed both. Pork butts went on at 10pm; WSM is holding at 264 at the lid. Looking forward to a fairly uneventful overnighter.
7.gif

NO...they're not :LOL: :LOL: , did have to add 3/4 chimney of coals though. Internal temp is only at 163 on biggest of the two....remember LOW AND SLOW.

Have a good day Cappy.

I am only just now getting to the point where I can judge how much coal needs to be in the ring for a said cook.

When I am in doubt I max it out. :LOL:

For long cooks I usually mound the the unlit up real big.

Cliff H. said:
I am only just now getting to the point where I can judge how much coal needs to be in the ring for a said cook.

When I am in doubt I max it out. :LOL:

For long cooks I usually mound the the unlit up real big.

Well I maxed mine out also Cliff, but I was using lump and there were still some left but it wasn't going to be enough to finish the job so I added some more. These were pretty big butts, almost 18lbs.

UPDATE @ 12:10pm

The smaller of the two, bottom grate, finally got to 190 so I put it on the top grate for about another half hour.

At 12:45pm the top grate butt was finished so I removed both and foiled and and they are resting comfortably. It does appear though that someone took a huge bite out of that one butt. :LOL:

For dinner tonight, it will be PP sammiches with slaw; mac & cheese (Patty LaBelle recipe); and for dessert strawberry pie (thanks for the idea wittdog).

Initial taste test gives the nod to Wittdogs Swine Syndicate Rub over Cow Town Hog Squeal.

Final pics after dinner.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom