Please school me on thighs..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john pen

Master Chef
School me on thighs please..Im doing my first thighs on the WSM today..looking for a rough idea of cooking time, finished temp, seasoning, skin on or off, bone up or down, etc....

I did a search and got over 600 threads, so Im going the lazy mans route..

Higher WSM temps - 275* and above, empty water pan, I leave the skin on but it will be tough to get it crispy enough to eat. I use Mortons Nature Seasoning and Season Salt for rub and let um ride until 180* skin side up. Hickory wood or apple wood for smoke flavor! :!:

Typically I do thighs on the grill but it is just my personal preference cuz I like crispy skin! =P~

my friend, thighs are my favorite part of the yard bird anatomy.

For the wsm, you may choose to get skinless, but I don't. Even at
lower temps that leave the skin rubbery, it still bastes the meat with
luscious rendered chicken fat.

So I always get thighs with skin and bone in.

Now may I reccomend rubbing that there thigh with a bbq rub of your choosing, or, like me, a blend of herbs and spices that are not cumin based. Get some rub under the skin...this is important, especially if you
are going to discard the skin.

Now marinade in Italian dressing. The bolder and spicy-er, the better for me.

now choose your wood...I love cherry or pecan with yardbird, but just about every choice does well. Please keep in mind that the stronger woods can overpower said thigh, which takes on smoke in a delovely manner. In other words, careful with da hickory or mesquite.

Now, there are several options for using your wsm for this. If you are doing these thighs just for a snack while butts or briskets are going,
I'd reccomend that you start on the smoker and finish on the grill to
crisp the skin.

If it's just a chicken cook, (and I use my kettle, which works magnificently), you may consider removing your water pan altogether.
If you do this, keep in mind that yardbirds will drop a lot of rendered fat
into the coals, and a flareup or worse may occur. Keep an eye on the temps and the color of the smoke coming out. Black smoke is not good here.

If you don't remove the pan, you can foil it and add no water or sand,
and open those vents up, and hope to get temps up to 350 or above. Doing this will allow the skin to crisp up better, maybe not crisp, but still good. The last20 or 30 minutes, brush wif yo sauce, flip and brush again,
and enjoy the best chicken you ever et. Might good vittles.

Sounds like Ive got a plan...higher temps..empty foiled water pan..skin on. Im guessing at the higher temp Im looking at a 1 to 2 hour cook ?

Ok..Im on a mission..Ill cook with the skin on but pob. discard it ...Apparently my doctor says being 50 lbs overweight isnt healthy, so were "watching what we eat"....(he's an ass)...pics to follow later tonight..gotta go in to work at 5:30 for a half hour or so, so Ill plan on throwing them in when I walk out the door...full report later..

Just cooked up a s$%t load of leg quarters on Sunday for lunch for this week. Left the skin on like Cappy said, but rubbed real good under the skin. 1/2 got wolfe rub & 1/2 got KC masterpiece. Lunch this week so far has been fantastic. Yesterday was a piece with wolfe rub, today kc masterpiece. Both were great. Discard the skin, unless you like eating inner tubes. Cook time at 300* was about 2 1/2 hours with pecan chunks. Yup gotta agree with Cappy, thighs are the best part of the bird!

Well, I didn't get to have the thighs for dinner because the snow was comming down so hard with silver dollor size flakes that my chimmney wouldnt stay lit !

I worked on it when I got home and the snow let up a little..finally got it lit, but had to use alternative dinner plans. Eventually got everything rolling and it was well worth the effort. The thighs were awesome (said it before and Ill say it again I LOVE MY NEW WSM). The wife couldn't say enough about them...

For some reason I cant upload pics this am..thanks for all the advice !

Back
Top Bottom