Pigs Ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wittdog

Master Chef
Here are some pics of today’s on going cook the pork ribs were bartered for some sausage and Canadian Bacon and the Beef ribs were a find, they have a ton of meat on them and I still only paid .98 lb.

Here is a pic of my new Tel Tru glow in the dark therm, I have 4 butts on the WSM that I am cooking for a buddy I also did up some of Jacks Carolina Gold to go with the pork.

Last beef ribs I got for .99/lb. Well, they were almost devoid of meat. After I took them off Einsein, thought I should have used them to make some beef broth and save the lump! Any, Merlyn the dog thought they were good.

Beef ribs are done. Wilma!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The pork ribs are not done as of yet…I hope Mrs. Posts Pics…
I just gave the WSM a shake, about 7 hrs in and I am handing over the cook to the missus.

Looks good witt :( Where are you able to find beef ribs with that much meat on them? Might have to try and order some beef ribs.

Chris

Well, here’s the ribs from pigs…..

Very tasty.

Still not liking the beef ribs-- they were very meaty (Chris, I think he got them at Market in the Square, a neighborhood grocery store) and tender, but the beef flavor is too strong for me, even with a sweeter rub. I’ll stick with pork, and leave the dino ribs to "fred".

Finney said:
Looked real good Witt.
What length stem do you have on your Tel-Tru and what was the digital therm reading when the analog was reading 250*?
Finney the stem length is 2.5 in, the first couple of hours of the cook their was a 25* varience between the grate (digital) and lid, after a couple of hours it seemed like the temp then regulated and there wasn't much of a difference between the two. =/-5 * . The pork came out very good. My buddy is serving it this weekend. I got home this morning from work and we pulled it and had a little sample.

Jack your sauce is awsome my family loves it and I think so highly of it that I made a batch to go with my Q.............that is being served by my friend at this party...I let you know about the feed back next week.... We made a big batch for ourselves last week and canned it minus the butter of course...Thanks once again for sharing.
Pigs thanks for the pork ribs they were nice and meaty and real tasty...

Cliff H. said:
Jack W.":y4v8pff0]How did the sauce go over? Good Q? Jack[/quote] I am searching and searching in the sauce section and I just can't find this recipe!! :badgrin:[/quote:y4v8pff0] Cliff it's the 5 one down try this link [url="http://www.myfreebulletinboard.com/f2/viewtopic.php?t=4947&mforum=bbq4u said:
http://www.myfreebulletinboard.com/f2/v ... orum=bbq4u[/url]

Cliff H. said:
Thanks wittdog. You leave the butter out when making large batches and add it when you are ready to use ?
This stuff is so good we were going thru it like burbon :grin: , So we decided to make a big batch and can it. We don't have a pressure canner so we left the butter out and will add it when we open the jars..You need to make some up it's awsome on Pulled Pork and I bet would be real good on chicken as well

brian j said:
wittdog said:
We don't have a pressure canner...
i saw on the bbq show on the history channel last night that the guy making his sauce pours and then seals the jars while the sauce is hot making a vacuum seal. would that now work here?
I saw the same show, my guess is that the sauce didn't contain any fat or fatty like substance.......like butter. We wanted to be able to can and not have to refrigerate....I would worry that the butter would go bad.

wittdog said:
Cliff H. said:
Thanks wittdog. You leave the butter out when making large batches and add it when you are ready to use ?
This stuff is so good we were going thru it like burbon :grin: , So we decided to make a big batch and can it. We don't have a pressure canner so we left the butter out and will add it when we open the jars..You need to make some up it's awsome on Pulled Pork and I bet would be real good on chicken as well

It's OK on Chicken, I prefer Rev. Marvins. Add some honey and put it on wings, and it's TS on a burger. I've used it in the brat recipe I've posted with real good results. Like I said I won the sauce contest at the SC State Campionships with it three years in a row about 5 years ago. For some reason it fell out of favor. Probably because they started using "real" judges.

I'm glad you enjoy it. I developed a commercial version as well that is very good. It's being looked at for botteling.

Jack

brian j said:
wittdog said:
We don't have a pressure canner...
i saw on the bbq show on the history channel last night that the guy making his sauce pours and then seals the jars while the sauce is hot making a vacuum seal. would that now work here?

I think that seals it similar to the way that boiling canners work; I have read that when you make jam if you don't want to boil that jars you can turn the jars upside down and the heat will seal it.
Pressure canning is used for low acid foods to prevent botulism and other nasties not found in acidic foods. Most barbeque sauces would be acidic enough between the tomato and the vinegar for the boiling method, but if there is any kind of protein in it you would probably have to pressure can it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom