picnics and lump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cflatt

Sous Chef
did a couple of picnics overnight, they were both on sale and I figured what the heck...I'll give it a try. Well they both looked great. (sorry no pics my wife has the camera) but tasted more like ham than good pulled pork. I put quite a bit of rub on them about 2 hours prior to the cook and re-applied right before putting on, but none of the flavor seemed to be absorbed. My neighbor wanted to know if I would smoke him one so I just gave him one of them. I think I will stick with butts for pulling from now on. also, anyone near the philly area (30 miles north) know where to get lump. Lowes and H D carry charbroil and cowboy but the consistency from bag to bag is terrible. the only other thing I have found up here since the move is the BGE lump, but they want 20 bucks for 20 pounds. thanks

cflatt said:
did a couple of picnics overnight, they were both on sale and I figured what the heck...I'll give it a try. Well they both looked great. (sorry no pics my wife has the camera) but tasted more like ham than good pulled pork. I put quite a bit of rub on them about 2 hours prior to the cook and re-applied right before putting on, but none of the flavor seemed to be absorbed. My neighbor wanted to know if I would smoke him one so I just gave him one of them. I think I will stick with butts for pulling from now on. also, anyone near the philly area (30 miles north) know where to get lump. Lowes and H D carry charbroil and cowboy but the consistency from bag to bag is terrible. the only other thing I have found up here since the move is the BGE lump, but they want 20 bucks for 20 pounds. thanks

Curtis,
Did you remove the rind from the picnic? It's the thick skin that covers the meat. I used to do picnics all the time but now for some reason they're all "enhanced" around here, so I quit buying them. That could have been the cause for the "hammy" taste. If it said "self basting" or "contains any % of solution" it was enhanced. In my opinion the only thing different between a picnic and a butt is the yield of finished product. There's definitely more waste on a picnic than a butt.

yep, cut away the rind and the harder fat that wouldnt render. It was "enhanced" guess I will have to take the trip out to the Amish butchers for one thats not. Most all of the buthchers here get their meat from the same place.

Larry Wolfe said:
cflatt said:

Curtis,
Did you remove the rind from the picnic? It's the thick skin that covers the meat. I used to do picnics all the time but now for some reason they're all "enhanced" around here, so I quit buying them. That could have been the cause for the "hammy" taste. If it said "self basting" or "contains any % of solution" it was enhanced. In my opinion the only thing different between a picnic and a butt is the yield of finished product. There's definitely more waste on a picnic than a butt.
Add "always tender" and "always juicy" to your enhansed meat key words.

cflatt said:
yep, cut away the rind and the harder fat that wouldnt render. It was "enhanced" guess I will have to take the trip out to the Amish butchers for one thats not. Most all of the buthchers here get their meat from the same place.

Or if you have a Sam's or BJ's their's are not enhanced, or Costco, but theirs are boneless, ehh......

Sams is about 45 mins away maybe I will try there..but 30 mins more gets me to fresher product in the Amish country...maybe I will make a trip

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom