Peach Wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddog27

Sous Chef
I remember watching the "big pig jig" on the food network and one of the competitors, (I believe it was Jack's old south) said his secret is that he uses peach wood on his BBQ. My question is: Has anyone ever used peach wood? What were the results? Where would someone buy peach wood?
:bar:

I cooked next to Myron at a couple of KCBS contests in Charleston. He used two simple barrel cookers, mounted on the same axel, and fired with kingsford charcoal and green peach wood pieces about as big as your wrist and as long as to your elbow. He fired one side up and put on the pork butts and went to the hotel. Left his brisket sit out on the table. I didn't notice anyone around the cooker all night. He came back just before dawn fired the other side of the cooker and put on his brisket. Won grand champion. Damnedest thing I ever saw.

I have used it. The results were very good. You can buy it at most good peach orchards in the south.

Jack,

That is crazy! People make it sound like you have to watch over your Q every second at a contest. Maybe there is a message there. Keep it simple. (Or maybe there isn't any message at all??!!) Can't think anymore my head is starting to hurt! #-o #-o #-o #-o

At the Jack this year Mixon left his pork shoulders out on a table for 8 hours. I wasn't the Rep but if I had been I would have made him toss them, would have made him toss the briskets also you described in this case.
Jim

He gets a lot of people clammoring around him. Because of that he really dosen't get what I would call a down moment. Everybody wants to rub BBQ elbows with Myron Mixon. I wasn't introduced to the fellow he cooks with, but there is a heck of alot of BBQ know how wraped up between the two of them. I was content to watch from a large comfortable chair. The rumor was that he believes the meat isn't ready until the fly's start to lite on it. Quick heat will make the fibers cease. I guess if you can let as much of the cold out naturally it makes a difference. Hard to argue with Myron's kind of success.

Good Q!

Jack

Jack W. said:
He gets a lot of people clammoring around him. Because of that he really dosen't get what I would call a down moment. Everybody wants to rub BBQ elbows with Myron Mixon. I wasn't introduced to the fellow he cooks with, but there is a heck of alot of BBQ know how wraped up between the two of them. I was content to watch from a large comfortable chair. The rumor was that he believes the meat isn't ready until the fly's start to lite on it. Quick heat will make the fibers cease. I guess if you can let as much of the cold out naturally it makes a difference. Hard to argue with Myron's kind of success.

Good Q!

Jack

Except the rules clearly state that you must keep meat below 40º before cooking and over 140º after it is cooked. Most teams follow these common health prctices.
Jim

Hey dog, I just cut a peach tree down in my back yard last week. I figure next spring I'll have some peach wood to use. For now it will be apple or hickory.

jminion said:
Jack W. said:

Good Q!

Jack

Except the rules clearly state that you must keep meat below 40º before cooking and over 140º after it is cooked. Most teams follow these common health prctices.
Jim

I agree 100 %. I support safe food handeling practices. I would prefer food to by my life not my demise. :!:

Raine said:
Jack, you coming to Lincolnton?

Comiing to King's Mtn?

Lincolnton is the weekend of my wedding anniversary. I'm workin' it hard but the it's going to be a tough pull.

An unlikley maybe at this time. [-o<

Kings Mountain is a no.

Good Q!

Jack

Welcome Beachbum,

I grew up just down the road from you in Hallandale, now called Hallandale Beach, I believe.

Sure do miss the weather especially the winter weather.

Kloset

Back
Top Bottom