Pastrami...Wolfe inspired!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cleglue

Head Chef
I did the pastrami yesterday Wolfe inspired. It was a very small corned brisket. I soaked over night and changed the water three times during that time. I used ground coriander, ground black pepper, and garlic. I installed the Guru eyelet in the WSM before the cook. I don’t know if that was why I had a problem with temperature control. It was all over the temperature range…very high side. It got to 308 degrees once. I thought it would take about 6 hours to get to 175. After hour nine it was at 169 degrees temperature was about 237 so I left it. The temperature got to 250 and the alarm sounded so I turned it off and forgot to turn it back on. I was looking stuff up on the internet and forgot about it so about 1 ½ later I suddenly realize I still had the corned brisket in the WSM temperature was at 189 on the brisket and 289 on the WSM at about 10:30 last night. I still came out very GOOD.

Here are the pictures.

Great job Craig!

I don't think the eyelet was the cause for the higher heat though, cause one the probe wire is through it the opening is almost closed. Plus I don't even feed my wires through them most of the time and it doesn't cause any problems. The temp spikes could have been caused by the small amount of meat you had on the WSM and you inadvertantly overshot your temps because you're used to more meat being in the cooker?

Thanks Larry. I thought it might be the quantity of meat as well as the small size. I usually shut all the vents at 190 (then open one a very small bit as needed which usually works) but I did let it get to I think between 204 and 207 this time and boy the rest of the day was something with the high temps. I just glad it came out so good!

was it windy...seems like the mav is tempermental when its windy out..the alarm will go off on mine but the Tel tru on the dome will be reading in range.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom