Pastrami (Smoked Corned Beef)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey Capt

You have to be careful with store bought corned beef. It is very salty if you dont soak it in water to get some of the salt out. I try to soak it over night changing the water a couple of times. Other wise you will end up with very salty pastrami. Just my .02 worth.

Larry
There are some differences in the spices but if you were to add pickling spices to a corned beef I think it would get you close enough for a lot of folks. I'm just not sure how well pickling spices and allspice do together.

I have a recipe for dry cured beef tenderloin which is outstanding you may want to try sometime. I love this stuff.

The seasonings are largely North African. Understand that this recipe will not give you the salami-like bresaola sold at Italian markets, but more of an aged-beef product.

Bresaola

1 whole beef tenderloin, trimmed
2.5 T brown sugar
1 T black peppercorns, toasted and ground
0.5 t thyme
0.5 t ground ginger
0.5 t ground allspice
0.5 t mace
0.5 t corriander seeds, toasted and ground
0.25 t cumin seeds, toasted and ground
0.25 t ground cloves
3 cardamom seeds, crushed
6 dried tabasco chilies, toasted, seeded, and ground
4 t salt

Mix all ingredients except salt -- massage entire mixture into meat. Place tenderloin on a rack above a sheet pan in the refrigerator -- do not cover.

Age meat in refrigerator 7 or 8 days, then rub salt onto tenderloin. Return to refrigerator for up to 48 hours. Grill whole tenderloin only until very rare (125*F).

After grilling refrigerate till cold, carve thinly. Serve as sandwiches with yeast rolls, fresh horseradish sauce and red onion -- shave some Asiago, too, if you'd like.

NOTES:
1. You can use 3 dried cayenne chilies if you don't have tabascos, but the tabascos add a smokiness, depth of flavor, and searing heat that cayennes cannot match.
2. I sometimes add 0.25 t of toasted ground fenugreek seeds to the rub, but just because I like the way it smells a little butterscotchy when it grills.
3. If you don't like your meat rare, I would recommend a different recipe.
4. Obviously, since this is an expensive cut of meat that will sit in your refrigerator for over a week and then be eaten very rare, it is of the utmost importance that your beef be hyper-fresh, from a reputable source, and that your refrigerator be very cold.

ok, never one to just take a good recipe, I found a few with the following ingrediants

5 tablespoons kosher salt
4 tablespoons paprika
3 tablespoons coriander seeds
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons black peppercorns
2 tablespoons yellow mustard seeds
1 tablespoon white peppercorns
8 cloves garlic, minced
PREPARATION:

Combine coriander seeds, peppercorns and mustard seeds in a spice grinder. Grind coarsely. Add in remaining ingredients and mix well. Rub is now ready to use. It may be stored refrigerated in an airtight containe

2 tablespoons coriander seeds

2 tablespoons cracked black peppercorns

3 tablespoons kosher salt

3 tablespoons sweet paprika

2 tablespoons dark brown sugar

1 tablespoon mustard seeds

1 tablespoon ground ginger

6 garlic cloves, minced

2 tablespoons coriander seeds
2 tablespoons mustard seeds
2 tablespoons white peppercorns
2 tablespoons allspice berries
6 to 8 dried red chiles
2-inch piece dried gingerroot
2-inch piece cinnamon stick
6 dried bay leaves
4 tablespoons Kosher salt

Most all have the coriander, salt and pepper, and mustard. Some have garlic. Any reccomendations on some of the other ingrediants (allspice, ginger?)

Captain Morgan said:
So Wolfman, if I buy the same corned beef you mention, all I need is coriander and black pepper?

That's basically the way I read it! You too? I'm gonna try it and see how it turns out. But now I have a dilema, my father isn't coming out afterall this weekend and that is who I was going to make it for. So should I wait another week when it's closer to St Patties Day when the CBB will be on sale or just go ahead and spend the $3.49 per lb? I remember last year they were on sale for like $1.29lb for St. Patties Day. This is beer money we're talking about here.

lol, I just got back from the store and planned on buying the cbbrisket...not at that price! I gotta shop around a little, but I'm gonna do one this weekend regardless. yeah, after st. patty's day, they are ridiculously cheap...I'll stock up and freeze I reckon.

Now, what about them pickling spices you mentioned earlier?

Captain Morgan said:
lol, I just got back from the store and planned on buying the cbbrisket...not at that price! I gotta shop around a little, but I'm gonna do one this weekend regardless. yeah, after st. patty's day, they are ridiculously cheap...I'll stock up and freeze I reckon.

Now, what about them pickling spices you mentioned earlier?

Well now that I've read more about the difference between Corned Beef and Pastrami. It is the Corned Beef that has the picking spices not the Pastrami. So from my interpretation of what I have read is this. You can come very close to making Pastrami by using a store bought Corned Beef Brisket, by eliminating the seasoning packet that is included and seasoning the Corned Beef with black pepper and coriander seeds. What do you think Skipper?

well, my feeble mind agrees with you, but I might add a few other spices I listed, the mustard, maybe, and the garlic. Looks like I'm the guinea pig here.

Captain Morgan said:
well, my feeble mind agrees with you, but I might add a few other spices I listed, the mustard, maybe, and the garlic. Looks like I'm the guinea pig here.

When are you planning on doing it? I'll try to do it the same day and we can compare notes. Whether it tastes like Smoked Corned Beef or Pastrami, it's going to taste good I'm sure!

Captain Morgan said:
I'm thinking getting the beef tomorrow, and smoking on Sat. Thought you was waitin on family.

Well, I was gonna wait for my Dad but what the hell. If you are gonna do it, I'll try it too! I have some salmon I need to cook as well, I'll throw them on once the Pastrami is done!

you got a Vac sealer don't you?

Which reminds me, mine is messin up some. The foam rubber seal pops up every now and then, and I pulled some thighs out of the freezer a couple of days ago, and when it thawed, CHICKEN JUICE RAN OUT OF A LITTLE HOLE IN THE SEAL! I was hot enough to thaw them thighs! Do I need to just get a new one, or can I repair it? This is beef money we're talking about here!!!!!

Plan on getting a big pastrami and freezing a bunch after slicing it.

I'll definitely be vacking and freezing, my wife and kids won't eat it! I am sure if you go to the manufactuer of the vac sealers website they would have a replacement gasket. Do you partially freeze your fresh meats prior to vac sealing? That really helps, I learned the hard way.

all righty then, just got back from Sams with 2 butts and a tiny little corned beef brisket....just the flat. Was gonna buy 2, but didn't like the price. Think I'm gonna soak that thang overnight....not to late to add in any spice/advice!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom