Pastrami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NewHeart

Senior Cook
With all the corned beef in the stores this time of year, I decided to make my first pastrami. I got a small piece of corned brisket, about 3 1/2 lb. and soaked it overnight to de-salt it.

Rubbed it with the standard cracked coriander and cracked pepper (plus a little this 'n' that).

Smoked it about 7 hours just over 220º until it was about 165 internal.

attachment.php

First sammy on some rye bread with Webber's mustard.

attachment.php

I keep going back to the fridge for "just another slice".

Thankfully some of us aint visually oriented cept with it come to large floppy breasted yankees...but it sure sounds good. Now tell us..did the overnight soak really work? I have followed that alleged rumor with various oversalty stuff and did not find it productive. Do you think maybe I have just been unfortunate? Thanks.

I can't find the edit button for my original post, but here's the pictures.

BW, I couldn't say for sure, but every source I Googled said to soak it, and as you well know, if it's on the internet, it must be true.

Attachments

• DSCF2284.jpg
    DSCF2284.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 245
  • DSCF2287.jpg
    DSCF2287.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 243
Nice pastrami!!! Whenever I smoke a corned beef I will soak it too and change the water out at least once

Ok..I am starting to believe you can soak the salt out of that stuff just a little more than I did..lol. Will say it depends on how strong is the brine/pump a person is trying to alleviate. A big hunk exposed to strong brine for long periods do not desalt itself well on an overnight freshwater soak. Least enough for most folks taste buds. Throw a stout whammy on a piece of meat it needs to be simmered out. That is why drunk Irishmen invented corned beef and cabbage I think. The salty simmer water is just right to cook cabbage. lol.

The Little Bride picked up all the fixings for Rubens for tonights supper. Sure she bought the deli corned beef. This might be a good time to snag some in the cryo but last few years Kroger has sold flat out of the stuff by this time. Apparently a lot of drunk Irishmen shop in there for St. Paddys day.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom