Packer or Choice and Baby Backs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

txpgapro

Sous Chef
Onr local IGA has briskets at $1.99 and it says "Choice". It's IBP. Looks a whole lot richer, redder, with less fat than those packer vac-pacs at $1.29. Is it worth the extra money?

Also, is $3.99/lbs. for "Baby Back" pork ribs a good price? I usually just buy the cheap-o pork spares.

I personally don't buy baby backs anymore. I used to buy them all the time before I started smoking, but only use spares now. Just not worth the extra $ when spares come out so good off the WSM. More meat...less money!

txpgapro said:
Onr local IGA has briskets at $1.99 and it says "Choice". It's IBP. Looks a whole lot richer, redder, with less fat than those packer vac-pacs at $1.29. Is it worth the extra money?

Also, is $3.99/lbs. for "Baby Back" pork ribs a good price? I usually just buy the cheap-o pork spares.

The $1.99lb IGA Briskets are most likely "Select" grade, which is a lower grade cut compared to the "Choice" grade. Choice cut meats do have better marbling throughout the cut, but briskets are fatty enough in my opinion the grade doesn't make any difference. Be careful though, I was in a Super Wal Mart and their "Select" briskets believe it or not were enhanced. So read the package of whatever you decide to buy. If you were cooking steaks, I'd say buy the Choice hands down. But since you are smoking the brisket you'd be wasting your money buying the more expensive "Choice" brisket. I've done both and the only difference I've noticed was the price! The whole point in smoking low and slow is to make a cheap tough piece of meat melt in your mouth, so why spend the extra money if it's not necessary?

I don't buy BB's just for that reason! They cost too much for what you get. I try to buy spares when they are on sale for around $1.99 and trim them St Louis style. The plus to doing spares is you get to munch on the trimmings while the ribs are still cooking!

$3.99/lb. is about what you'd pay around here. when they're on sale you might see them for $3.49/lb. Like other posts, I never buy them, I can get a case of cryovac spares (8 racks in 2-rack bundles) for $1.49-$1.99.

Rob

It's all a matter of personal preference. Personally I'm not a big fan of spareribs. I'll take loin backs any day of the week. The spares have too much internal fat in them that doesn't toally render out during the cooking process and tend to have a hammier taste than the loin backs. But like I said personal preference should dictate what you cook. Even a fatty spare is pretty good Q.

By less fat I meant on the cap. It had been trimmed to reduce weight, but still had plenty to protect the meat. And the "choice" flat did not seem as marbled as the regular packer. BTW, I've always pulled meat by touch and since I just got this fancy shmancy Maverick, what is a good internal temp to pull the brisket?

txpgapro said:
By less fat I meant on the cap. It had been trimmed to reduce weight, but still had plenty to protect the meat. And the "choice" flat did not seem as marbled as the regular packer. BTW, I've always pulled meat by touch and since I just got this fancy shmancy Maverick, what is a good internal temp to pull the brisket?

You know Tex at first I was going to say go with the choice because of the trimmed fat cap. I mean why pay for fat when you're going to trim it down? But when you mention that there is less marbleiing on the choice, I would now say go with the regular packer, trim the cap and get the marble. I think it will ultimately result in a juicier brisket.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Fat = Flavor and moisture

txpgapro said:

Now you are gonna get alot of different answers on this as well. I pull my briskets at 180* and let them rest for at least an hour, preferably 2-3. This method produces a tender, slicable, but not fall apart very moist brisket for me, time and time again. It must be able to rest for no less than an hour. During this time the temp generally rises about 3-4 degrees for me. Good luck!

Nick Prochilo said:
I personally don't buy baby backs anymore. I used to buy them all the time before I started smoking, but only use spares now. Just not worth the extra $ when spares come out so good off the WSM. More meat...less money!

I totally agree. I buy spares at a restaurant supply house and havent gone back to to backs!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom