Over Smoking on a Stumps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jack W.

Sous Chef
Does anyone have experience on a Stumps?

We have just completed a Stumps Clone. The flavors off the test runs seem almost over smoked. I am using Royal Oak Lump, and the fire box valve stays abour 1/4 closed to achieve 255* in the middle rack.

The cooker is pretty good sized. 36 X 36 X 24 in the cooking chamber. I'll post some pics when I can. Frankly, I'm not good with the pics.

Good Q!

Jack

Us po boys cant afford them high dollar yuppie pits of course but any contraption you got where you trying to tightly regulate the burn rate lends itself to getting the meat oversmoked easily. Best cure I have found is to forget about the strong flavored woods i.e. Hickory..Pee Can..Mesquite..Cheery etc. Go with the mild stuff..just a touch of Oak and maybe a little apple or plum and dont use much. Keep the exhaust wide open. Just my .02 of course.

bigwheel

Didn't work for me Jack, it requires a sign in and then stated the password was not valid.

You might have to create an account with Kodak. It's free to join. I'll Check to see if I can put the pics somewhere where anyone can view them.

Good Q!

Jack

Well yall start chasing rabbit trails purty easy. Let us get back to why the boy got oversmoked on his stump clone. I find that kinda stuff interesting. Now it seems like he might have just broached the topic in order to post a pic of the offending pit. It hard to figger out the motives of bbq folks sometimes. I have learnt this the hard way. Expurience.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Well yall start chasing rabbit trails purty easy. Let us get back to why the boy got oversmoked on his stump clone. I find that kinda stuff interesting. Now it seems like he might have just broached the topic in order to post a pic of the offending pit. It hard to figger out the motives of bbq folks sometimes. I have learnt this the hard way. Expurience.

bigwheel

Yeah... that makes sense........ He says he thinks he might have fucked-up... just so he can post a picture of the pit he might have fucked-up on........... That's a smart boy there. :roll:

bigwheel said:

bigwheel

I wouldn't expect the expurience of an old Texas boy like you to help me out with such a high tech cooker as this one Old fella. Seems like cooking brisket in an old wash tub over mesquite would be your claim to fame. :D

Good Q!

Jack

I have looked at Cappys PUI and wondered if it means
Posting Under the Influence?
Just wondering.

By the way, nice looking smoker. I have a Spicewine and have learned that since it is so tight, little wood needs to be used to get good smoke flavor. With the problems you are having it just seems obvious enough to just use less wood. Not a bad thing!

In my experience, which does not include well sealed cabinets, all cookers with small fireboxes are prone to "oversmoking" and very sensitive to green wood, bark, spoiled wood, etc.

Rich

Back
Top Bottom