On a mission...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greg Rempe

Web Celeb
Moderator Emeritus
Heading to a restaurant supply store to pick up a few bags of the Humphrey's hardwood lump briquettes...for $6/20lb bag it seems like a great deal...anyone had any experience with the lump briquettes from Humphrey's? I used Original Charcoal Company last year and loved it...but alas HD stopped carrying it!! Been looking for a replacement ever since...and Kingsford sucks!

I've never heard of it but sure would like to find a replacement for the Rancher down here. I'm having to use Royal Oak in the Stumps for now since I'm saving my last two bags of Rancher for a comp in July.

Think you will like it Greg, I use it for grilling sometimes, But most of the time I use Hump Lump. The briquettes have no clay or other binders in. I think it's good stuff.

Greg, it's good stuff. George was passing out bags to the contestants at Oinktoberfest a couple years ago (lump or briquettes) and I liked it.

Could you tell me the name and address of the Restaurant Supply store that carries it? I've been looking for a local supplier of Humphrey's. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Do you have to be a member of the store or is it opent to the public?

Its good stuff...just make sure it doesn't pick up an moisture...then it smells like crap when it burns....
The Hump Bricks look like big pills...

Just secured 2 bags for trial...going to try it on the grill tonight for a chuck roast for sammies and then tomorrow night for a brisket.

Kloset, the place in Mentor and its called Bauer's Supply...here is the link:

http://bauersupply.com/

Ask for Mike...he's the boss man out there...tell him the guy who bought the Humphrey's briquettes sent you his direction!

PS, that's where I got my Monster Grill brush too...lots of cool stuff in there and no, you do not have to be a member...its open to the public!

Well, much success with the first run of Humphrey's lump briquettes!! Great consistency and solid heat throughout...its still burning out right now. I measured the last run of Kingsford and have a line to see how the Hump stacks up in ash content.

Can't wait to try it out tomorrow for the brisket cook!! Thanks for the info Pigs and Witt!!

Well, now the bad news...everything burned out and there was just as much ash in the pan as there was from the kingsford...that's not what I was hoping for!

Hopefully it will decay better overnight and not choke out the fire tomorrow for the brisket cook!

Back
Top Bottom