Okay, I'll try it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill The Grill Guy

Master Chef
I've been reading a lot on brining turkeys. I usually inject mine and they come out good. I figured I would give a brined bird a try. So, the first cook on Petunia will be one 13.5lb turkey brined in apple juice, water, brown sugar, salt, garlic ginger, and two cut up oranges. And just so the bird doesn’t get lonely, I have two butts to put on there as well. I'll fire her up in the morning and start taking pics.

Yea, I am getting excited about getting Petunia fired up. Just picked up some oak and filled the front wood basket. Man that thing holds a lot of wood. I'll be posting updates all day tomorrow.

Boy Bill you know how to pick a day to christen Petunia! Cold, windy and raining! Better buy a case of Natty Light to help get you through the cook!!! Good luck buddy!

Hoss's BBQ said:
Bill try some fresh herbs in the brine like thyme sage and rosemary. Also Juniper Berries are nice in brines.

I was going to mention the same thing. I add all that to my juice brine with the exception of the berries. I also add orange peel and a little cinnamon. Rub the herbs under the skin prior to smoking. And then inject with pure apple juice concentrate.

Wahoo, the fire is in the pit. The temp is climbing, the bird is rinsed, patted dry and I cut up an onion with fresh tyme, rosemary and oregano in olive oil and placed it in the cavity. Gave the bird a gentle rub with olive oil and waiting for 250*. I'll keep you posted.

And you promised pics, right?
2.gif

They went on at 7:45. Its 45* here so it took a little longer to get the pit up to 250*. Minor adjustments is all it takes to change the temps on Petunia.

Pic #1

Hey BFD, some folks on the board have done the beer can turkey before. Instead of using a regular beer can they used a Foster's can.

The temps keep dropping. I think it just the weather. Feels colder out now than it did at 7.

Okay, pic #2 & 3

Looking good already Bill!! I'll be heading that way on my way home from work! Turkey should be done by then!! I'll bring the beer!

Okay this is strange. The turkey has been on for a little over three hours and the timp is reading 163 at the thigh. Seems kinda fast doesnt it?

Back
Top Bottom