Not sure what I've got..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boozer

Sous Chef
A neighbor traded me this and a couple of walleye filets for a pile of pork. Problem is, I have no idea what I'm looking at, other than it's deer. I'm tempted to slice it up and grill it, but I also want to BBQ it. it looks pretty lean though.. Any advice on this?

Attachments

• 20140501_214054.jpg
    20140501_214054.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 261
Awesome, just cooked some belly yesterday! I gots bacon! Good call bosko! Bob, I know what you mean. "Hey I got this pork roast, what temp should I cook it to?" 200! Oops, I didn't know it was a LOIN! Thought you meant shoulder, better luck next time...

Awesome, just cooked some belly yesterday! I gots bacon! Good call bosko! Bob, I know what you mean. "Hey I got this pork roast, what temp should I cook it to?" 200! Oops, I didn't know it was a LOIN! Thought you meant shoulder, better luck next time...
:cool::cool::cool::roll::roll::roll:;);););)

Looks to me like back strap, or filet. That is the only piece of venison that comes in pieces that big. The rest of edible meat comes from the legs.

When you precess that meat up, just make sure that you get all the fat, and and white pieces of membrane off before you marinate or cook it.

Wrong shape for a back strap. Bound to be attached to one of the available appendages. That recipe looks mighty good and sounds plausible. Would urge one cautionary note. As a person who has tried various marinades involving wooster sauce..will say too strong and too long of a soak can flat deconstruct a chunk of meat. Mess up the texture big time..sorta like chewing on wet cotton. So..be careful with that stuff..lol. Soy dont treat folks shabby like that. In fact half soy and half water makes a real good fajita marinade. Prob taste good for a bambi too. The bacon makes this whole scheme possible.

Soy sauce you say? I'm OK with that. I worked at Golden China all through high school, so I have a familiarity with that particular sauce, and I agree with you agreeing that soy sauce would agree with venison. Think I might lace it with brisket fat too. I think the only thing that will make it suck is if I dry it out.

Hard to tell with it still wrapped. You could cook it indoors by stuffing with garlic, season well with salt, pepper, garlic powder or granulated. Brown on all sides and braise with water or beef stock until tender. Mmmmm..............

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom