Nomenclature

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wdroller said:
Finney said:
Pork Butt is part of the shoulder. Costco normally sales "boneless" butts labeled as Pork Shoulder, Boneless.

So, am I buying the butt section of the pork shoulder or am I buying the shank portion? The heavy skin normally found on the shank is not present, and that leads me to believe that it is the butt section. Just checking to be sure.
The lack of skin indicates to me that it's the butt section but, it's hard to tell if it is indeed boneless. Also, butt sections are more rectangular whereas the picnic is more conical. Again, this is bone-in.

wdroller said:
Finney said:
Pork Butt is part of the shoulder. Costco normally sales "boneless" butts labeled as Pork Shoulder, Boneless.

So, am I buying the butt section of the pork shoulder or am I buying the shank portion? The heavy skin normally found on the shank is not present, and that leads me to believe that it is the butt section. Just checking to be sure.

Check this . The butt is more of a rectangular shape and the picnic will be a triangular shape.

I believe what our Costco sells here in the Greensboro, NC area is boneless pork butts. They call it pork shoulders. They are more square shaped and do not have the thick skin I see on the picnic shoulder. I haven't bought any because it doesn't have a bone.

In NY they also sell boneless butts and thats how they state it on the package. They can be pretty mangled too. I've always had to tie mine up when doing them but I'm starting to prefer them over the shoulders.

Nick Prochilo said:
In NY they also sell boneless butts and thats how they state it on the package. They can be pretty mangled too. I've always had to tie mine up when doing them but I'm starting to prefer them over the shoulders.

Huh? Are you serious Nick? #-o

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":w3uqt8ny]In NY they also sell boneless butts and thats how they state it on the package. They can be pretty mangled too. I've always had to tie mine up when doing them but I'm starting to prefer them over the shoulders.

Huh? Are you serious Nick? #-o[/quote:w3uqt8ny]

Yeah, like somebody said here, more nooks and crannies for the rub and I think there is less waste.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom