New WSM

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gomer1

Senior Cook
Just got mine fairly recently and want to try and do a pulled pork this weekend but I have a bunch of questions. I don't have a Maverick ET-73 yet and was wondering if anyone know of stores that carry it in stock (price isn't a issue I just obviously need it). If not what can hold me over? I also was curious about lighting the WSM and how often you need to add charcoal, and what type you guys suggest? I have read a lot on the site but not so much about this stuff.. More will come.

Thanks

Do you have a charcoal chimney to light your coals with?
They are cheap and often found at lowes and home depot.

Once you load the charcoal ring and add your lit coals to the
top of the pile, get your temps adjusted and running steady
by manipulating the vents, the wsm can run overnight and never
need to more charcoal.

I do have a Chimney, and I have PM'd Larry.

Do I just do 1 Chimney over how much coals in the bottom already?

pretty much load the ring up with unlit coals, and leave enough room
to add the chimney of lit coals...it's called the Minion Method, which
I taught to Jim Minion. The lit coals slowly ignite the unlit, and it
slow burns for hours, providing an even heat while you sleep.
Any problems..your ET will beep at you to wake you up and adjust
the vents to get temps back to normal.

And hey to Goober.

Cool thanks. What is with people always calling me Goober? hehe Do you just use Kingsford original or whatever?

Kingsford is fine...others use lump.
I think original Kingsford is good to start with. don't buy the
mesquite or the easy to light (soaked in flammable chemicals)
kind.

Get yourself an big empty coffe can and cut out the bottom and the top..place it in the center of the charcoal grate and the center of the ring...place your unlit charcoal around it...along with a couple of pieces of smoking wood...I like cherry and hickory...I also like lump charcoal..use what you want and can get...anyone then light the chimney when all the coals are that white color dump the lit chimney inside of the coffe can...remove coffe can with tongs or welding mits...you now have the right amount of lit charcoal and the rest of the unlit and wood has stayed where you want it....bottom vents all open assmeble the WSM with meat on.....keep the top lid all the way open and the bottom ones all the way open till you hit 200* then shut the bottom three down till they are open about 1/3 of the way...wait 15-20 to see what your temp is and make small adjusments from there...It has been my experience it's easier to bring the temp up then down...after it's dialed in that's about it...
Just my .02
Good luck and enjoy your WSM

I was thinking I would being my first Pulled Pork attempt I was planning on being up w/ it as much as possible.

I am always open to suggestion though.

Also I just ordered my therm, Thanks to Larry Wolfe! Is there any instruction on how to set this up w/ a WSM? Again I looked around but have not found anything..

That will work fine. You will have to refill at some point. If there is a Bass Pro Shop near by, you may want to invest in a Brinkman CHARCOAL Pan for about 4 bucks. It will hold way more water.

Unfortunately there is not a Bass Pro shop nearby but, I do not mind refilling it for now.

I have been looking around at rubs and that and I am not sure what to use.. I don't like anything too spicy, and I am unsure about rubbing mustard/mayo on the butt as well? Honestly I am pretty clueless here.. Especially about sauce, I have seen a lot of mention of vinegar based sauces. Are there recipes for these around too? And you put it on after you pull it? Final question for now... I want a Pork Butt or Pork Shoulder when I go to buy it?

Really sorry for the basic questions I have been poking around all day with the search and not having much luck is there some stuff with the really basic stuff I am missing? I really do not mean to be re-asking things that have been answered in the past and I am very grateful for all your help so far and look forward to showing you guys some pics on saturday!

Gomer said:
Unfortunately there is not a Bass Pro shop nearby but, I do not mind refilling it for now.

I have been looking around at rubs and that and I am not sure what to use.. I don't like anything too spicy, and I am unsure about rubbing mustard/mayo on the butt as well? Honestly I am pretty clueless here.. Especially about sauce, I have seen a lot of mention of vinegar based sauces. Are there recipes for these around too? And you put it on after you pull it? Final question for now... I want a Pork Butt or Pork Shoulder when I go to buy it?

Really sorry for the basic questions I have been poking around all day with the search and not having much luck is there some stuff with the really basic stuff I am missing? I really do not mean to be re-asking things that have been answered in the past and I am very grateful for all your help so far and look forward to showing you guys some pics on saturday!
ask as many questions as you want... and any kind of questions. Everybody here is super cool man.. I ask all the time and everyone helps me... :D that's how you learn bro.. I like wolfe rub spicy.. He has regular too.. I don't make my own yet. The other folks here know alot about pork,,, I have the same questions as you... :D

Thanks guys.

That was a good read Cliff I hope my first comes out as good. Can anyone suggest a rub and sauce? I doubt I can order anything because I am cooking for saturday.. And how much sauce to use?

Thank again really looking forward to the weekend.

I don't know what store you have. But they must have a bbq section. Go there and look for rubs and pick what you think you'd like and your guest would like.. You can always add more salt later.. As far as sauces, what do you mean? BBq sauce? If so, same as before pick what you like. you're the chef and you will be the one they praise...I have a feeling it will all work out perfect!!! Hang in there buddy!!!!

I have no experience w/ these vinegar based sauces is that what is typically used w/ the pulled pork? Are these available at the store? And how much sauce to beef ratio?

Thanks 8)

Back
Top Bottom