New at cookoffs - need some tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
YaYa said:
Jack - I would like to "glaze" the BBq for preparation for the onsite judging as outlined in your instructions - this would include: rubs and bbq sauce for the glazing - correct? I just wouldn't have the pig chopped up and sauced for the blind box - was this your meaning or am I thinking incorrectly?

Ya Ya,
You take all the meat out of one side of the hog and process it however you want it to be in your box. Then pick the actual meat for your box and arrange it in the box in the manner you feel represents your best effort. Then put all the meat (minus bones, fat, etc) back in the skin of the hog in its respective area of the pig. That way when the judges come for the on site, they have the visual of "prepared" meat and the untouched 1/2.

jminion said:
YaYa
We did 5 hogs for a MIM competition a few years ago, I have never cooked SCBA sounds like it is run very much like it is run on a MIM format. Jack's advice sounds very good to me.

I will say from what I experienced I did not see glazing as an advantage, sauce on the side was how we handled presentation.

I'm interested in what you have to say after the competition, after going through the onsite judging. Good luck.

Jim

I'm still learning on this myself. The process I outlined earned me a solid 5th place finish on the last outing. Therefore, I've got 4 places to go. How did the Pit Master handel preparing the BBQ. I've seen guys take judges to the hog and select pieces to take to the table. Did the the judges pick the meat or did the Pit Master?

Good Q!

Jack

Back
Top Bottom