Need suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allisonandrews

Senior Cook
It's been awhile since I have posted (2 years I think!). Our staple has always been brisket. We got our method down long ago and although we occasionally try something new because we keep an open mind, we always end up back to our tried and true. We also do country style pork ribs some. DH likes smoked chicken, but I do not, so I have no interest in that.

But, the one thing we never tried was spare ribs. However, a week or so ago, hubby went home for the weekend and he and his mother cooked a few racks. He loved them. He brought home some leftovers and we warmed them up. I was not too fond of them. I couldn't exactly put my finger on it, but it was like the flavors were all too muted. In addition, it had some charring on it which I cannot stand. Dh said they were still good, but had been much better fresh.

In a few weeks, we are taking our smoker out to the lake, and just going to spend a relaxing Saturday camping out, having a few beverages, and cooking on the smoker. I figure this will be the perfect time to try out doing the ribs ourselves. Dh will probably stick to what he and his mother did, but I want to do something different on at least one rack.

Any recommendations for a first time cook for someone that does not like their ribs charred? (I think DH said they put them on a hot grill for a few minutes at the end.) I do believe in foiling and have so far exclusively cooked everything in pans (even if it is set up on a cooling rack to raise it off the bottom of the pan - just don't know if I could eat anthing that had actually sat on the grill itself). I've been going back several pages reading the threads... 3-2-1 -- Think this means 3 in the smoke, 2 in foil, and one back in the smoke? I've seen to spritz with apple juice. How often? I've seen threads on parkay/honey/brown sugar. How much of each?

I think the only thing that I can't modify is the smoker setting. We will probably keep it around 225-250 since we will be cooking a brisket.

So, any suggestions or any links you can provide for me as I dare to compete with my MILs ribs???

Thanks in advance!!

Allison it is good to see you back on the forum. You have been away for too long.

You might enjoy a rib with little or no sugar in the rub. That may help with keeping them from charring. It is hard to beat an salt,garlic and pepper trio with a couple of savory herbs to put your signature on it.

321 is just a guide. I find that two hours in foil is to much. I prefer more of a 311 or if my smoke is running clean and the racks are thin or small in general, I don't use foil at all. I do like spray a little apple juice on them every hour or so.

I like the deep dark color that the ribs take on afer 4-5 hours. You may be happier with only a couple of hours in the smoke just watch out for the foil. It will turn them to mush in a hurry.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the suggestions.

DH has the material ready to build a second, smaller smoker, so maybe I will be back on the forum more this year. We still love the one we built several years ago, but it is pretty large, and a pain to have to pay to register it for that 1 or 2 trips we take it away from the house each year.

Back
Top Bottom