Need some help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill The Grill Guy

Master Chef
I have tried white bean chili and stuffed pork loin for my anything butt's in competiton. I have not done well with either.

Here is the situation. Anything butt can be prepared ahead of time and cooked on site. I only have the smoker at the comps. There isnt a grill on my smoker. I can get the heat up to around 300*.

The rules say, "anything butt the four categories of meat". You can use chicken as long as its not prepared like you would for the KCBS comps. Same with the pork.

Now, I have gone up against some great chefs in these comps. SO, I need a knock your socks off but still easy enough to be done on site in a couple of hours recipie.

Just my 2/100ths here, but IMHO, why bother? You already have enough work to do with the four regular categories, why stress yourself out over a "knock your socks off" recipe that means nothing in the final calculations of the competition?

But go ahead, if that's what you want to do, by all means.

How about something Simple like one of those fatty's these guys are always ravining over you could play around with the fillings and come up with some great color/tastes? Italian Flag Sausage Fatty stuffed w/ Sundried Tomates, Fresh Parsley or Spinach, or something else green, and white cheese. Philly Style Fatty, Nicks Stuffed Fatty that he did the other day. There are a million combos. You could have everything ready to go ahead of time it wouldn't take a great deal of time and it would be easy enough that you'd have a ready made snack for you to eat. It's like Griff said about ground meat soaking up the smoke. Think of the smoke ring and then the meat and the stuffing inside. If you played around with the what goes where you could get some cool shapes inside the slices. Just my 2c I'm going to try a fatty soon.

Bruce B said:
Just my 2/100ths here, but IMHO, why bother? You already have enough work to do with the four regular categories, why stress yourself out over a "knock your socks off" recipe that means nothing in the final calculations of the competition?

But go ahead, if that's what you want to do, by all means.

Well, the anything butt has two purposes. One is the prize money, two it feeds my team thier dinner. Thats why I like to do the meat category instead of the desert. Besides, I suck at deserts.

I can make a meal out of those. And they have done well in comps in the Mid-west. It would still be new and unique to a lot of people here.

It depends on how the judging is taking place. If you're doing the mass feed to the Friday crowd and it's a popularity contest, I like to do something out of a stock pot. Chicken bog or a gumbo. I did well with a rabbit gumbo one time. Smoke and Spice's Chicken Pileau is pretty good.

For the more specific judging, Jennie-O makes a marinated turkey tenderloin. I like to stuff the garlic and herb one with onions, peppers, and jack cheese, wrap it with bacon and smoke it fairly hot. You have to stand them up like an ABT or the cheese will run out. Add your favorite cream sauce and a stripe of sour fruit compote and you've got an impressive tasting and looking dish.

Just a couple of Ideas. Good luck!

Jack

Back
Top Bottom