Need some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The problem with ceramics like Primo, Kamado, BGE is space. Not much for the money. I've had some experience on the BGE and the Kamado, and can say the ceramics are wonderful pits. Really versatile. Personally I'd skip the BGE. Primos are the most bang for buck, and Kamados are wife-pleasing, patio jewelery. Don't let Ann see the site.

I think the best thing about offsets is that they "look like smokers. That having been said there are some really wonderful pits in your price range. Since you don't need a big mobile you actually might want to take a look at one of the new Klose pits. http://www.bbqpits.com/backyard_smokers ... llchef.htm Or, maybe even one of their combos if you don't have a good, direct heat grill. A friend of mine bought a Klose Grill Chef last year, over the objections of the Lang mafia. Klose is built to an unbelievably high level of quality. Very tight, very well tuned. Exactly the right size. Hard to believe it's an offset. Klose really is the best. So says my friend. So say I.

Langs, OTOH, are more pit for the money, maybe the most. But really ask yourself if you want a big offset on a trailer. No cater? No comp? They're a PITA to work around. But the only way to fly if you want to get into whole hogs, other really big pieces, or you throw a couple of parties a month with guest lists of 100 or so. If you're not doing those kinds of numbers, you'll find yourself using your WSMs instead of firing up a 7' Lang.

Maybe the best companions to your WSMs would be a true grill along similar lines to my Bar B Chef Texas Charcoal, Grill (Barbeques Galore -- around $700), plus an insulated medium sized cabinet (like a Backwoods Competitor or Stumps 223) with a gas boost and Guru. With all of your pits working together you could easily handle a "sampler" menu for more than 50. That's a big party. With a little trailer, it'd also be an ideal comp and family reunion setup.

I've never owned a cabinet, and am currently working on an excuse to buy one. Unfortunately, after two decades spent learning to handle a %#&ing small offset I've finally got some consistency going. My little Bar B Chef suits my needs. To all the Spicewine enthusiasts -- I was an ass to disrespect your pit. My ignorance got away from me. Again. My impression comes from what I see around California and I don't see many Spicewines here. On the other hand, Backwoods is no longer unusual in Left coast comps, and are also moving strongly into the East-coast and Southern comp circuits. Hence, the h/t. I've got no experience on a Spicewine and should have kept my big mouth shut. :roll:

Now that I've got my foot out on Spicewine... I hear Stumps has solved their "bridging" problem with their gravity feeds. Why would you buy anything else if you bought a Stumps? I have not heard that Cookshack has solved the problem with Fast Eddys occasionally bursting into flames. I'd definitely research that.

Good luck with your new toy -- whatever you guys choose. I'm having fun with the fantasy.

Thanks,
Rich

boar_d_laze said:
The problem with ceramics like Primo, Kamado, BGE is space. Not much for the money. I've had some experience on the BGE and the Kamado, and can say the ceramics are wonderful pits. Really versatile. Personally I'd skip the BGE. Primos are the most bang for buck, and Kamados are wife-pleasing, patio jewelery. Don't let Ann see the site.

I think the best thing about offsets is that they "look like smokers. That having been said there are some really wonderful pits in your price range. Since you don't need a big mobile you actually might want to take a look at one of the new Klose pits. http://www.bbqpits.com/backyard_smokers ... llchef.htm Or, maybe even one of their combos if you don't have a good, direct heat grill. A friend of mine bought a Klose Grill Chef last year, over the objections of the Lang mafia. Klose is built to an unbelievably high level of quality. Very tight, very well tuned. Exactly the right size. Hard to believe it's an offset. Klose really is the best. So says my friend. So say I.

Langs, OTOH, are more pit for the money, maybe the most. But really ask yourself if you want a big offset on a trailer. No cater? No comp? They're a PITA to work around. But the only way to fly if you want to get into whole hogs, other really big pieces, or you throw a couple of parties a month with guest lists of 100 or so. If you're not doing those kinds of numbers, you'll find yourself using your WSMs instead of firing up a 7' Lang.

Maybe the best companions to your WSMs would be a true grill along similar lines to my Bar B Chef Texas Charcoal, Grill (Barbeques Galore -- around $700), plus an insulated medium sized cabinet (like a Backwoods Competitor or Stumps 223) with a gas boost and Guru. With all of your pits working together you could easily handle a "sampler" menu for more than 50. That's a big party. With a little trailer, it'd also be an ideal comp and family reunion setup.

I've never owned a cabinet, and am currently working on an excuse to buy one. Unfortunately, after two decades spent learning to handle a %#&ing small offset I've finally got some consistency going. My little Bar B Chef suits my needs. To all the Spicewine enthusiasts -- I was an ass to disrespect your pit. My ignorance got away from me. Again. My impression comes from what I see around California and I don't see many Spicewines here. On the other hand, Backwoods is no longer unusual in Left coast comps, and are also moving strongly into the East-coast and Southern comp circuits. Hence, the h/t. I've got no experience on a Spicewine and should have kept my big mouth shut. :roll:

Now that I've got my foot out on Spicewine... I hear Stumps has solved their "bridging" problem with their gravity feeds. Why would you buy anything else if you bought a Stumps? I have not heard that Cookshack has solved the problem with Fast Eddys occasionally bursting into flames. I'd definitely research that.

Good luck with your new toy -- whatever you guys choose. I'm having fun with the fantasy.

Thanks,
Rich

Thanks Rich. Yes, we need to first figure out what we are going to cook and then get an appropriate size. I think the idea that I'd like an offsett because it looks like a smoker and I'd like to cook more at once is clouding my judgement. I will probably look at a cabinet or a small offset. As I learn, I'll probably get a larger offset down the road. If my wife can have lots of pots n pans, why can't I have lots of BBQs? Thanks...

ScottyDaQ said:
It's photoshopped.
Not real. :roll: :LOL:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_Pig

http://www.annistonstar.com/showcase/2007/as-open-0601-bstrickland-7f01i1244.htm

Photoshopped or not, it was a big 'un. But I don't see much sport in shooting a hand-raised animal inside an enclosure (even a big enclosure). Especially when you take 3 hours to do it: "To kill the massive beast, 16 shots were fired — all by Jamison. Approximately nine landed. They tracked — and sometimes were forced to avoid — the hog for more than three hours."

Thanks Rich, but you didnt get out of line. You gave an opinion is all. I have owned a few pits in my day and the SW is my favorite so far. They all work imho just some are easier than others. I went with the SW because of the way it is built. Works great too but to each his own. We got a Primo too and that is a fine cooker. Great for smoking and grilling. I retired the WSM because I prefer the faster cooking SW. I dont have to do all nighters anymore. Our SW gets it done fast. Turbo time. That is really why I like it so much. I dont have the time or energy to cook all night now do to the volume we have been and are going to cook this year.
Must be getting old but I never really have slept well when cooking all night and the SW eliminates that for us.. Sleep is not overated!

One word...Klose.
Often imitated but never duplicated.

I don't care who says what, I will put BOTH my Klose pits up against anyone's offset in the industry and compare lb per lb, weld to weld, feature to feature, and the Klose will be superior in every aspect. Remember, you get what you pay for. Sure, you might be able to buy 2 or maybe even 3 lesser pits for the price of one Klose but you can also buy 2-3 GM's to one Mercedes or BMW as well. Klose pits also hold their resale value as well. Buy the best and you'll never wish you had. [smilie=a_goodjobson.gif]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom