Need how much pork to fiqure to feed 35 people

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woodman3222

Senior Cook
I am cooking for 35 people this weekend. Doing pulled pork for a lunch for firefighters. I do not think there is bread being served with the lunch. Just beans, potato chips. I was figuring each person eating 3/8 of a lb of pork. Is that about right? I figured ½ lb is to much ¼ lb may be to little since there are not a lot of other sides being offered. I am just cooking the butts. Other people are doing the sides. It is a nine hour coarse and I do not want us to be falling asleep after lunch. A full breakfast will be served to start class off. The BBQ is for a noon lunch.

I figure doing 26- 27lbs with 3/8 a serving 50% waste for shrinkage.

I do shoulders that weigh (bone in) 8 - 9 pound range. I get 10 - 14 sandwiches out of each one. Thats with bread though. If I were you, I'd go a tad higher maybe 28 - 30 pounds meat being your not serving sandwiches.

An average approximately 7-8lb but will yield around 4.5-5lbs of cooked meat (63%) on the high end. So one average butt should give you between 18-20, 4oz sandwiches.

FWIW I did 4 butts totalling around 33lbs this weekend and had a yield of right at 20lbs of finished meat which comes out to be about 61% yield.

Go grab a copy of my spreadsheet it's a freebie to copy and a freebie to use.

http://www.bbq-review.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10

It can help with all sorts of portioning questions.

The costs for your purchases and for your sales are all customizable as are the yields, my yields normally fall around 55% for pulled pork, more than half the family grumble if they have the slightest bit of fat or jelly.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom