N 2 D SMOKE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill The Grill Guy

Master Chef
Well its another great day for Petunia. She has a nice base fire in her box and will soon be holding 4 butts two briskets and 24 thighs in her loving arms. Starting to gear up for Kings Mountain in April so I will be working on the times and temps for my comp time line. I'll be posting pics through out the day.

I decided to try a fattie as well today. Here are some more pics. By the way, the Wolfe Rub is fantastic on the chicken. I finally did some chicken that my wife didn't critisize. THANKS LARRY!

Chicken with a little of my homemade LOVE!

Bill The Grill Guy said:
I decided to try a fattie as well today. Here are some more pics. By the way, the Wolfe Rub is fantastic on the chicken. I finally did some chicken that my wife didn't critisize. THANKS LARRY!

Awww shucks Bill, thank you! Glad you like the Wolfe Rub!

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Bill The Grill Guy":2lrow26q]I decided to try a fattie as well today. Here are some more pics. By the way, the Wolfe Rub is fantastic on the chicken. I finally did some chicken that my wife didn't critisize. THANKS LARRY!
Awww shucks Bill, thank you! Glad you like the Wolfe Rub!
[/quote:2lrow26q]
Hey Bill, for that... Larry wants you to go to Sam's Club for him. 8-[

Bill,

I'm going to do another brisket this weekend. It will be my third since really trying to do it right. The last one was awful. The first was great.

What temperature are you running your pit?

I have been keeping my small offset at 225 but it take so long for the brisket. I think am going to try 245/250.

cleglue said:
Bill,

I'm going to do another brisket this weekend. It will be my third since really trying to do it right. The last one was awful. The first was great.

What temperature are you running your pit?

I have been keeping my small offset at 225 but it take so long for the brisket. I think am going to try 245/250.

I smoke at 225-250*. I put a small aluminum foil pan that I make out of foil under the brisket. That keeps the juices from going down the grease trap. I use that to baste it during the cook. Then I foil at 165* and put it back on until it reaches 190* the let her rest for a while and slice.

brian j said:
looks good. i noticed that a lot of people here foil their brisket's when the hit 160. any reason for this other than to speed up the cooking time? i don't foil my briskets because i like the bark.

I foiled mine at 165 and still had nice bark :grin:
It was the first one I did, to be honest I would have liked more bark :!:
I was worried about It drying out.
How high would you take It ( before drying out? to get more bark on It? 8-[

Puff said:
brian j said:
looks good. i noticed that a lot of people here foil their brisket's when the hit 160. any reason for this other than to speed up the cooking time? i don't foil my briskets because i like the bark.

Puff, put more rub on it (high in sugar and salt) for more bark.
You can cook them until finish out of foil. Foiling just make for more predictable results.

Finney said:
Puff said:
brian j said:

Puff, put more rub on it (high in sugar and salt) for more bark.
You can cook them until finish out of foil. Foiling just make for more predictable results.

Predictable is what I was after on the first one :!:
I'll use your advise on the next :!:
You being a grand champ and all =D> =D> =D>
Thanks for the info :!:

brian j said:

Brian I foil briskets and ribs because it gives me a consistent tender, moist finished product everytime. You can do this without foil as well, but I have better luck foiling them. If you have a good layer of rub that contains a good amount of sugar and salt you should have a nice bark even with foiling. Won't be as crunchy as it will without foiling, but it'll still be good. Foiling also cuts down on the time variables. Like the saying goes, "it's don when it's done", but you can get a pretty good time frame on the length of your cook as well when foiling.

Thank you, Mr Know-it-all.
Twins.JPG

just kidding brother

Back
Top Bottom