My wife wants to cook of the WSM

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wittdog

Master Chef
My wife wants to cook some chicken on the WSM tonight. It will be her first attempt at using it. The chicken has been marinating in a local vinegar based marinade. :idea: Rather than me tell her how to do it, I figured that I would let the “guys on lineâ€

wittdog said:
My wife wants to cook some chicken on the WSM tonight. It will be her first attempt at using it. The chicken has been marinating in a local vinegar based marinade. :idea: Rather than me tell her how to do it, I figured that I would let the “guys on lineâ€

What pieces are the chicken?
If all the chicken will fit on the top rack, I wouldn't use the pan at all. And I other than that I would go with Larry's plan.
I usually cook leg 1/4s (which is what I cook most often (cheap)) for 45 min - 1 hr.

Larry Wolfe said:
wittdog said:

I like to cook dark meat chicken at 350* - 400*.
I sprinkle with Tony Chachere's 'Extra' spice, Italian seasoning, and black pepper. Then I coat with Reverend Marvin's Hot. After 20 mins I add more Rev Marv's. More after another 20 mins.

Warning: This can get pretty spicy depending on thickness and frequency of Rev Marv application. You should have beer close by. :!:

Finney said:
I like to cook dark meat chicken at 350* - 400*.
I sprinkle with Tony Chachere's 'Extra' spice, Italian seasoning, and black pepper. Then I coat with Reverend Marvin's Hot. After 20 mins I add more Rev Marv's. More after another 20 mins.

Warning: This can get pretty spicy depending on thickness and frequency of Rev Marv application. You should have beer close by. :!:
Lately my wife has been the master of cajun cooking................

The main reason I mention keeping the pan in is for easy clean up. Also the chicken was marinated, so it's going to be doing alot of dripping from the excess moisture, and at least for me that causes more ash floating around than I care to eat. Same thing in the case of Roadside Chicken. The chicken will definitely taste better without the pan, but keep it simple for the Mrs. first cook to get her confidence up!

Larry Wolfe said:
The main reason I mention keeping the pan in is for easy clean up. Also the chicken was marinated, so it's going to be doing alot of dripping from the excess moisture, and at least for me that causes more ash floating around than I care to eat. Same thing in the case of Roadside Chicken. The chicken will definitely taste better without the pan, but keep it simple for the Mrs. first cook to get her confidence up!

He didn't mention a salad Larry so he can consider the ash roughage.

This is "Mrs. Wittdog"--

thanks for the info, I am going out to start it now....

[-o< (You can't break a WSM, right?)

My wife said to tell you this: :^o

The temp never went above 290 in spite of having the dampers open all the way. So the chicken took longer to cook and the skin was not crispy. :-(

She said she took a picture that I can post when I have a chance to resize it.

She also said she did not know she could not use my ID :) and would not do it again. O:)

Puff said:
Lookin' tasty there Mrs. Dog :!:
Tell Mr. dog to let you use Buford next :!:
She knows her way around Buford. She typically does the inital charcoal burn on weekends. Then I come home and add the wood and meat.

That does look good WittDogette. This will get deleted too!!!

Back
Top Bottom