my new friend chuck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cflatt

Sous Chef
Finally found a decent butcher with chuck in stock. He cut me out a 9 lb boneless on tuesday but I had to fly out to NYC. Got in yesterday about 8:30 and fired up the wsm. Rubbed it with some S & P and then went about my day. foiled about 162 and pulled it off at 205. Waited a couple of hours then pulled .... this is certainly something I will cook again soon, what a wonderful flavor,

That looks great Curtis! I have one bag of shredded chuck in the freezer and you just reminded me I need to cook more!! I love that stuff and it's great in burritos too!!

Larry Wolfe said:
That looks great Curtis! I have one bag of shredded chuck in the freezer and you just reminded me I need to cook more!! I love that stuff and it's great in burritos too!!

It's great in everything.....including my belly!

All this talk of Chuck got me to want to try one. The biggest I could find at the market is just 3.5LBs. As I understand it, a guy should Q it like a butt. Foil at 165 and pull at 200+?
DATsBBQ

DATsBBQ said:
All this talk of Chuck got me to want to try one. The biggest I could find at the market is just 3.5LBs. As I understand it, a guy should Q it like a butt. Foil at 165 and pull at 200+?
DATsBBQ

I don't know about a butt (I don't foil them) but do it like you said which is how I do a brisket point.

I dont foil my butts, but this was my first try with a chuck so I took Larry's advice (I am sure Finney taught him) but I wouldnt change a thing. Plenty of bark and a nice texture and flavor. I did chop it a but after I pulled it. Not sure how it would stand up to a pro, but when the wife says its the best roast she's ever had thats all that matters....the smoke is justified :grin:

made sandwiches and ate it plain last night. Kept enough out to eat on for a couple of days and vac sealed the rest for the freezer. going out to vegas in june and gonna take a sampler of different things for some friends there.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom