My Mystery Meat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pappy

Assistant Cook
When I bought some spare ribs the butcher sawed off part of the rack to make them into St Louis style ribs. He wraped all of the cut off meat tips and it's in my freezer. I have 4 packs of the mystery meat. What do I make with that? I think it might be like the riblets that you can get at Applebees. I don't know. I should have opened one up and looked at it before I froze it. Has anyone made them before? Do I smoke them like ribs? If you have a link or recipe, let me know.

It's really tasty meat. You can smoke it like ribs but it cooks much faster. I remove the cartilage and usually use mine for beans. I usually have a little excess and that makes a great snack. There's a Man vs Food episode where a restaurant grinds it up to make ground pork burgers (they are famous for them).

Double dittos on whut them smart fellers said. I try to put em on top of ribs (now this takes a real bbq pit not some kinda bullet contraption) and let em drip on the show models below. When it gets brown and toasty looking it makes a great snack or tossed in the beans is wowser. Now will say some of that meat is covered in silver skin...sorta like Bambi meat or a Needle Nosed Gar. Cept with Gar the silver skin is black. Its commonly believed if you will score the silver skin at fairly close intervals it will wither up some and not be troublesome to the eater. This be in particular impotence when it come to the flap on the bone side called a brisket flap for some reason.

3 Olives said:
It's really tasty meat. You can smoke it like ribs but it cooks much faster. I remove the cartilage and usually use mine for beans. I usually have a little excess and that makes a great snack. There's a Man vs Food episode where a restaurant grinds it up to make ground pork burgers (they are famous for them).

This is what I do.

Minimally, over salt, over pepper and slightly oversmoke and use in beans, bean soup, greens, green beans, etc. Use in place whenever ham hocks or salt pork is called for.

It also work good in combo with the cadaverized pig parts mentioned above. My grand prize winning pintos always contain bacon and some heavy smoked rib ends if I got some handy. Just makes me feel mo betta to use it.

Back
Top Bottom