My first cook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kidsmoke

Assistant Cook
Pork Butt and Brisket. Loaded up the WSM. Forgot to take picture of brisket before throwing it on the smoker. #-o Here's a pic of the two pork butt's. This was my first time trying to trim the fat and it took me quite a while, not the prettiest job. Ended up having to tie one of them end to end because it was about ready to fall apart. Smoker is sitting between 225 and 250 now, wonder how late I'll be up tonight. :grin: I intended to get up around 7 a.m. and get things going, course when you don't get to bed till 5 a.m. thats kind of hard to do. Hoping everything turns out ok. [-o<

img_26991_0_8f445b53c9173b867237997136be3608.jpg

Kid, how big are the butts...figure 2hrs/lb for the butts an an hour and a half for the brisket but YMMV... :!:

Moving to BBQ sectioin :(

Hey Kid, the butts look great. Did you have to tie them due to your trimming or were they the boneless butts?? What kinda rub are you using?

Larry Wolfe said:
Hey Kid, the butts look great. Did you have to tie them due to your trimming or were they the boneless butts?? What kinda rub are you using?

Boneless butts, but I trimmed alot of fat off. I followed the Pork Butt preparation method over on The Virtual Bullet site. Using a rub from that site as well.

Southern Succor Rub
1/4 cup ground black pepper
1/4 cup paprika
1/4 cup Turbinado sugar
2 Tablespoons table salt
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Coming along good I think. :D Temp holding steady at 240 for the past few hours. Think I'll turn everything and baste the butts in about an hour, I'll take some photos then. I forgot to insert the probe thermo into any of the meat. #-o So I'll put it in the brisket then as well. Got an oven thermo on the lower rack and a candy thermometer in the top vent.

Here are the pics I took when I turned everything over. Probably should have done it sooner, brisket is at 174 now so should be done soon. And I should have took the butt photo before flipping it over, the bark was looking good on it. Last two are my dinner, ABT's and the chicken tenders with KC Masterpiece Carribean Jerk marinade. Haven't tasted them yet....[-o<

img_27021_0_049c91da65e896cc7756c2085612b9b4.jpg

img_27021_1_3a68395d5e15ee2a7562da84d22fb1e1.jpg

img_27021_2_9bb2804d9592ab7e63f80a311b39b0d1.jpg

img_27021_3_7428f00304c28308a767394d335031a8.jpg

Oh MAN!!! That is some gooood lookin' chow! 'Cept fer that 1st pic (a bit blurry :eek: ), they are fer sure good eatin' pics!! =P~ =P~

Damn! Kodak needs to work on their paper :(

The Joker said:
Oh MAN!!! That is some gooood lookin' chow! 'Cept fer that 1st pic (a bit blurry :eek: ), they are fer sure good eatin' pics!! =P~ =P~

Thats the beer talking, look again. :D Put up a better shot, not as blurry.

kidsmoke said:
The Joker said:

Thats the beer talking, look again. :D Put up a better shot, not as blurry.
Damn!! I can almost taste it!! (Work on that "depth of focus", KidSmoke ~ That back hunk needs just a bit of work... :!: )

Great lookin' pics!!

Temp has been stable at 180 for about 15 min, which is good because I need to go to the store for beer. :razz: Them ABT's are some good eating. I was really impatient waiting for them to cook and almost gave up, thinking the bacon would never get done. Probably could have left them on a bit longer. Probably have to make some more tomorrow since I still have a bunch of the cheese mixture leftover. =D>

Here's the finished Brisket. I took it off at 185 and wrapped it in foil, it's sitting in the cooler now. The butts are only at 169, hopefully they'll be done by 3 am est. Are the photo's to large? Not sure if anyone's on dialup. Lemme know and I'll resize them in the future.

img_27043_0_936ba3c08ed1d9844bd99d093347d53f.jpg

Butts didn't go so well. :-X Couldn't get them above 174 on the smoker. Temp remained at 240 - 250 through the lid. I finally pulled them off at 7 am (19 hours on the WSM :eek: ) and threw them in a 240 degree oven. They finally hit 190 after about 35 minutes. Going to bed for a bit, I'll post the rest of the photo's when I wake up.

Sounds like they reached Plato and stayed there. You have to take your time when that happens. Some may argue with me, but, I like to foil at 165 or 170. It shoots past plato and into the 200* quicker.

Bill The Grill Guy said:
Sounds like they reached Plato and stayed there. You have to take your time when that happens. Some may argue with me, but, I like to foil at 165 or 170. It shoots past plato and into the 200* quicker.
Argue with a moderator? Not likely! [-(

If they made it all the way to Plato, you're never gonna eat!! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Back
Top Bottom