My first butt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dbo342000

Assistant Cook
Trying my first butt today
Brined overnight
Fired up the cooker at 7:00 am
Home made rub ( based on recipe from here)
On the cooker by 7:45

Ok
Just hit the 8 hour mark and internal temp is 180F.
Wrapped it in HDF to let it finish.
Looked good and juicy still
Should be done in an hour

Dinner is served!!!
Tastes awesome
Only thing is it wasn't exactly fall off the bone tender. Could of used another hour or two.
But for my first time is say it was a victory for me.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381701210.288262.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1381701224.881743.jpg

Sounds like a winner Sir. Was a bit apprehensive on it being a bit salty..depending on the brine components..temps..duration and how salty is the rub. Butts are hard to hurt. Glad it came out good. Little more cooking is always good for butts or seems so. When it coughs up the 3 D looking flying saucer bone fairly easy is a good sign on when its ready.

Looks good but next time cook by temperature and feel not by time. If I'm gonna foil I like to foil at 165*f. At around 193*F take your temp probe or a long skewer and start probing around. If it goes in like butter all over your butt is done but if its still a little tough going in at places give it a little more time. Usually your butts will be done in the 195-200 *f range.

Looks good but next time cook by temperature and feel not by time. If I'm gonna foil I like to foil at 165*f. At around 193*F take your temp probe or a long skewer and start probing around. If it goes in like butter all over your butt is done but if its still a little tough going in at places give it a little more time. Usually your butts will be done in the 195-200 *f range.

Thanks Vermin
I will definitely do that for the next one. Ive got a second one in the freezer for when my dad comes to visit in a couple weeks.

Sounds like a winner Sir. Was a bit apprehensive on it being a bit salty..depending on the brine components..temps..duration and how salty is the rub. Butts are hard to hurt. Glad it came out good. Little more cooking is always good for butts or seems so. When it coughs up the 3 D looking flying saucer bone fairly easy is a good sign on when its ready.

Thanks for the advice Bigwheel.
Definitely will let it go longer.
I did notice some areas were quite tender. I took it off at 185. Maybe should have waited until 195/200 like Vermin suggested.
Was not too salty (no salt in the rub)
But maybe ill skip the brine next time and just go with an injection.

Wel if it worked out good..no need to be getting creative. Now I am hungry for pushed pork. Bad boys.

Don't go by temp alone! You can turn it into mush that way if cooked too long. Like Vermin said, at 190 - 195 start probing it, thats the best way to tell.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom