My First Brisket on my new WSM 22.5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey Buzz, sorry to hear about the brisket being a bit of a flop. I'm with Shores on this. After you get the fire up to speed and the meat in the WSM, I usually shut down the bottom vents to where there's just a crack open for air. The top vent is always wide open. I also use the water pan with water up to 1/2 inch from the top.

For the fire, I lay down a single layer of Kingsford Competition briquets over my two charcoal screens to keep the smaller pieces of lump charcoal from falling through and then fill up the ring to the top with lump charcoal.

After that, I just monitor the grate temp with a Redi Chek remote thermometer. I gradually open the two back vents to get the temp up to the 220 range and then as things start cooking and the temp rises to about 245, I slowly start closing down the back vents in little increments. The WSM can chug along like this for 6 to 8 hours if I don't take off the lid.

Good luck on your next brisket. Remember, this cook was to get everything nice and gooey on the inside of your smoker so the next one will be a home run. Ya did good!.

My experience with the 22 WSM is along the lines of Lew and Shores. Bottom vents just barely open after you get up to temp. My first brisket was only suitable for chili. Now brisket is my favorite meat. Like a lot of good things in life, it takes a little practice.

Patience, patience, patience, thanks for the words of wisdom folks. It will be a few weeks before I will be back up to Michigan with 22.5 WSM and I will try again, follow the advice, and will post pictures good or bad. In the mean time I am headed back to Ohio and have 2 or 3 butts planed for a family gathering, I'm planning on cheating and using my Guru for that cook :LOL: Again thanks to all for the words of advice and encouragement.

I see a big NO NO. The eye bolts in the fire grate look like plated metal. Zinc and Cad metals should not be in a cooked.

Pigs nailed part of the cook problem..... get the meat temp up to 200* at a minimum, then wrap in a cooler to sit for a couple of hours.

Rag said:
I see a big NO NO. The eye bolts in the fire grate look like plated metal. Zinc and Cad metals should not be in a cooked.

Damn ... I could have been eating pull apart, moist, tasty brisket for the want of a couple SS Eye Bolts, just my luck, I shouldn't have gone so cheep :LOL: Rag thanks for pointing it out, I just found a source for some SS, so before the next cook I'll change them out .... Hope for that reason and some of the good advice the brisket will be better :D

$2.28 lb. ouch!

I did my first one @ 225* degrees. It took a long time but turned out ok. Like everyone said "nows the perfect time to out and get another one". Just tell the wife you didnt buy a cooker to sit and look at! ha!

Puff said:
Never had much luck with the low and slow on a brisket.
Quzz, next time try it hot and fast. Works like a charm for me.
I would like a sammich out of that pan though. Looked mighty good. ;)

I don't know if I can get my WSM 18" to higher temperatures, to be honest. But I think I will try. Open all vents? What temperature do you get for that? I've had little luck with my brisket.

Back
Top Bottom