My first 12hr. Pork Shoulder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ashyface

Cook
28525_1407206892952_1015802038_31178847_759653_n.jpg

12hrs. in Hickory Smoke; moist, and delicious! I feel like a first-time Dad! :)

I know it's kind of tooting my own horn to post that, but I was just so thrilled I didn't screw it up...and I had had a few Saturday Night beers at the time. :) At any rate, thanks for accommodating me and being kind.

@Smokey Lew: I have not done my UDS yet, and I can't honestly decided to build or buy one. I had some unexpected expenses this week, so I'm a touch cash poor right now anyway. I look at it as a blessing; gives me more time to make the right choice. I had to do this one on my old, cruddy, leaky Char-Griller Smoking Pro. It's unimproved in any way, so it was all done by "feel" if-you-will. I burned a Kingsford Blue Bag fire with dry Hickory for 12 hours, at ultra low heat. Now keep in mind that the stock thermometer on the Char-Griller is only a "ballpark" indicator, but I could get it up to 225 about a third of the time, but the rest of the day was mostly around 180. I went through an entire large bag of Kingsford and an entire bag of Hickory chunks. Every 45mins. I was tending the fire, adding fuel, or adjusting what I could to get the smoke to draw. I had the meat all the way on the far side, away from the firebox for about 10 hours, then moved it up close for the last 2. I checked the internal temp at 175 degrees and pulled it off, and immediately wrapped it in tin-foil and put it in the refrigerator for 2 hours. I took that picture right before I pulled it apart. The bark was thick, and the meat was still a very light pink inside, and incredibly juicy. I just used what I had in the house for a rub: Zach's Original Dry Rub.

Ashyface said:
I know it's kind of tooting my own horn to post that, but I was just so thrilled I didn't screw it up...and I had had a few Saturday Night beers at the time. :) At any rate, thanks for accommodating me and being kind.

@Smokey Lew: I have not done my UDS yet, and I can't honestly decided to build or buy one. I had some unexpected expenses this week, so I'm a touch cash poor right now anyway. I look at it as a blessing; gives me more time to make the right choice. I had to do this one on my old, cruddy, leaky Char-Griller Smoking Pro. It's unimproved in any way, so it was all done by "feel" if-you-will. I burned a Kingsford Blue Bag fire with dry Hickory for 12 hours, at ultra low heat. Now keep in mind that the stock thermometer on the Char-Griller is only a "ballpark" indicator, but I could get it up to 225 about a third of the time, but the rest of the day was mostly around 180. I went through an entire large bag of Kingsford and an entire bag of Hickory chunks. Every 45mins. I was tending the fire, adding fuel, or adjusting what I could to get the smoke to draw. I had the meat all the way on the far side, away from the firebox for about 10 hours, then moved it up close for the last 2. I checked the internal temp at 175 degrees and pulled it off, and immediately wrapped it in tin-foil and put it in the refrigerator for 2 hours. I took that picture right before I pulled it apart. The bark was thick, and the meat was still a very light pink inside, and incredibly juicy. I just used what I had in the house for a rub: Zach's Original Dry Rub.

It's not the cooker it's the quality of the product. What you did deffinatly deserves some real BBQ Respect!

Thanks again guys. After screwing up some meat in the last week, I'm finally starting to "get it." This is another reason I want to "do it the hard way" and go as old-school as I can. I'm learning that it's all about the fire, and that only comes with blood, sweat, & tears over burnt meat. :) This is my first small victory, and I'm telling you...Bar-B-Que-ing is starting to feel less like a chore, and more like a drug now. Ha-ha! I will continue to learn about fire and smoke on this Smoking Pro, and then transition to a UDS/BDS. Today, one lonely Pork Shoulder...tomorrow...a plethora of delicious, mouthwatering, slow-smoked meat! Ahh, the POWER of BBQ!

:LOL:

[youtube:3uybaico]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llIQUqfljr0[/youtube:3uybaico]

No, I didn't. It was neigh midnight, and I was ravenous, so I only snapped off one picture. I'll do another one soon and make sure to do that. I can tell you this, between what my family ate, and what I took to neighbors, there was nothing but praise. My neighbor across the street, a WWII Navy man who served aboard the USS Swordfish, told me that he hadn't had pulled pork sandwiches and tater salad like that for decades. He urged me to do it again soon, and I shall. We'll hope this isn't "beginners luck." Thank you for the kind support. :)

P.S. I'll tell you this, I think a real helping hand was delivered by my "nasty as hell" cast-iron grill plates. I doubled them up underneath this piece of pig. They are used, black, coated in filth, and magnificent! I really want to get cast irons for a UDS. I don't know how I'll facilitate that but I'll try. I never clean my plates. I just knock the chunky stuff off and roll. I might even see if I can cannibalize the seasoned cast-irons from this Smoking Pro when I build or buy my UDS. I really, really believe in cast-iron plates that are nasty as hell.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom