Mustard slather

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DATsBBQ

Head Chef
Last year about this time I Q'ed 2 racks of full spares. One had a yellow mustard slather with the normal amount of rub and the other only had rub on it. Both racks were rubbed and/or slathered the night before and stuck in the reefer.

One guy preferred the mustard rib, one guy liked the other and I had a slight preference for the rub-only rib. I never used the mustart again.

Yesterday I noticed that Safeway had a in store special on spares. So I picked one up (single rack in criovac with a Hormel sticker on it). Wife isn't too keen on spares (too many little bones) so perhaps I dress it out St. Louis style? But I digress....

Recently I bought some newfangled chiptole flavored mustard that, well really doesn't do much for brats so I thought I would use it as slather on the recently aquired pork part.

Since the mustard does have a bite, should I use a rub with less pepper in it or not worry about it?
DATsBBQ

If you use a ilttle mustard and cook for 6 hours, you shouldn't taste the mustard at all. A lot depends on your rub of course, and your cooking method, but the mustard on my butts leaves no apparent taste.
Ribs may be more "sensitive" because the meat is thinner and they
cook for a shorter period of time. I don't use mustard for flavor as a slather, but too hold more rub on.

I guess it depends on how well you know your critics. I would probably go with the less of a peppery rub. But that’s just me. If whoever your cooking for likes the pepper than don’t worry about it. I would go the St. Louis style with the ribs. They just look so much nicer.

Dat's I'll almost guarnatee those Hormel ribs you bought were enhanced. Not sure if you've done them before or not, but they will be "hammy". I'm not discouraging you from cooking them, just be careful and omit the salt in your rub and sauce if they are indeed inhanced.

I'd rub the ribs w/o the mustard and then mix in some honey with the Chipotle Mustard and use it as a finishing sauce.

Larry Wolfe said:
Dat's I'll almost guarnatee those Hormel ribs you bought were enhanced. Not sure if you've done them before or not, but they will be "hammy". I'm not discouraging you from cooking them, just be careful and omit the salt in your rub and sauce if they are indeed inhanced.

I'd rub the ribs w/o the mustard and then mix in some honey with the Chipotle Mustard and use it as a finishing sauce.
Are those enchanced products injected with just salt water or with a nitrate cure?

Larry,
I guess I mis-wrote when I typed Hormel. I just re-read the lable. They are from IBP "Superior Trim". Store sticker says fresh pork. IBP lable says "Pork, the other white meat" No mention of additives. So I don't think they are enhanced.
DATsBBQ

DATsBBQ said:
Larry,
I guess I mis-wrote when I typed Hormel. I just re-read the lable. They are from IBP "Superior Trim". Store sticker says fresh pork. IBP lable says "Pork, the other white meat" No mention of additives. So I don't think they are enhanced.
DATsBBQ
IBP does not do enhanced meat. :(

DATsBBQ said:
Larry,
DATsBBQ

That's great news!!! =D> =D> =D>

Captain Morgan said:
I don't use mustard for flavor as a slather, but too hold more rub on.
I would agree with the Captain. I make a mustard slather that I got from the Baron of BBQ, Paul Kirk, that has a combo of brown sugar, flat beer (miller lite) tabasco, salt, pepper, and in Kansas City we have Boulevard Brewery that makes a pale ale brown mustard (yellow will work as well). I mix all that together and literally slop the mixture on pork butts and ribs then add my rub. Now I cannot stand the taste let alone the smell of mustard but I cannot taste it on the meat, especially the ribs. In KC we like our ribs dry and my father in law, who is from Boston, will eat a whole rack of em when I smoke some. I like the nice crust I get on the butts and even brisket when I slather them, the brown sugar carmelizes (sp) and makes a nice crust on the meat. I use the slather on everything, except chicken!

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
Don't forget Boys & Girls, A mustard slather will block most of the smoke from penetrating the meat. :)
:eek: are we talking color(like smoke ring) or flavor of smoke?

Don't forget Boys & Girls, A mustard slather will block most of the smoke from penetrating the meat. :)

:pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop:

Do some side by side some time Larry. I don't need no stinking foil eather! :grin:

What????? I just got some popcorn cause I was hooongry! Can't a feller eat some corn?? :taunt:

I know, I know, foils not traditional! :ack:

I've never had problems with smoke flavoring in my meats when I use a slather. Of course everyone has their preference. As mentioned before I hate mustard, but if it allows my rub to hold together better and I cannot taste it. I'm all for it. :D

nwmud said:
to slather or not to slather - that was the question....

I like em both ways. make one of each. just my $.02

Ritch

I have tried them both ways. The only difference I noticed was the bark was heavier on the slathered one. Other than that, smoke ring and flavor was the same.

Back
Top Bottom