Mustard slather

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
[/quote] I have tried them both ways. The only difference I noticed was the bark was heavier on the slathered one. Other than that, smoke ring and flavor was the same.[/quote]

I would agree with Larry. The bark is heavier due to the brown sugar (in my slather at least) and I had a great smoke ring........ =P~ making me hungry

OK, I'm going to do the chipotle-mustard slather, now tinkering with the rub. Since I don't use any sugar in my rubs (diabetics in the family tree) and it was suggested that I back some of the pepper out, thinking about adding some cinnamon pwdr to the rub. Query: how potent is cinnamon? I work in small batches, usually make enough for two typical spice jars. Don't want it to overpower, yet I want it to be present.
DATsBBQ

DATsBBQ said:
OK, I'm going to do the chipotle-mustard slather, now tinkering with the rub. Since I don't use any sugar in my rubs (diabetics in the family tree) and it was suggested that I back some of the pepper out, thinking about adding some cinnamon pwdr to the rub. Query: how potent is cinnamon? I work in small batches, usually make enough for two typical spice jars. Don't want it to overpower, yet I want it to be present.
DATsBBQ

Cinnamon goes well with alot of BBQ. Start off with 1/4 tsp and add more if you think it needs it, depending on your taste.

DATsBBQ said:
DATsBBQ

That totally depends on where you buy your cinnamon. The stuff from the grocery store... not so potent. And it is more than likely Cassia, not Cinnamon. If you want the good stuff you'll have to order from a reliable spice dealer.

Finney said:
DATsBBQ said:
DATsBBQ

That totally depends on where you buy your cinnamon. The stuff from the grocery store... not so potent. And it is more than likely Cassia, not Cinnamon. If you want the good stuff you'll have to order from a reliable spice dealer.

Good point Frugal Finney! Cassia is also sold in stick form as well, so don't think you are buying the real thing just cause it's in stick form. Cinnamon is rolled from one end to the other, but Cassia is rolled from both ends that kinda meet in the middle.

Larry Wolfe said:
Finney said:
DATsBBQ said:
DATsBBQ

Good point Frugal Finney! Cassia is also sold in stick form as well, so don't think you are buying the real thing just cause it's in stick form. Cinnamon is rolled from one end to the other, but Cassia is rolled from both ends that kinda meet in the middle.
Well what you know about that. :)

I suspect that I have the cheap stuff, but the package (kroger) says it's the real deal. I looked at sticks, some are rolled from only one end, some are rolled from both ends and the pwdr is McCormick, says ground cinnamon but what do I know? I think I'll go with a full teaspoon since I don't have authentic cinnamon from reputable supplier.

Counterfeit Cinnamon, there should be a law. Did Tony Roma come up with idea?

DATsBBQ

DATsBBQ said:
I suspect that I have the cheap stuff, but the package (kroger) says it's the real deal. I looked at sticks, some are rolled from only one end, some are rolled from both ends and the pwdr is McCormick, says ground cinnamon but what do I know? I think I'll go with a full teaspoon since I don't have authentic cinnamon from reputable supplier.

Counterfeit Cinnamon, there should be a law

DATsBBQ

The canned stuff is perfectly fine regardless what it really is, it's just not as pungent.

Larry Wolfe said:
DATsBBQ said:

Counterfeit Cinnamon, there should be a law

DATsBBQ

The canned stuff is perfectly fine regardless what it really is, it's just not as pungent.
The preground stuff (even the good stuff) loses its strength really quick, so only buy small amounts.

I whole teaspoon might me too much. I use a teaspoon for about 3/4 of a quart of rub. You might want to start with a 1/2 and see what it smells/tastes like.

Good point, But, What about the salt and vinegar content in the mustard? Then you put a rub on with more salt and sugar. Are you not curing the meat epically if you foil it? (steam it) You might as well par boil. :grin: A few years back Morton Quick and Tender was the big deal on the KCBS circuit. Soak pork for a short while and you will have a HUGE smoke ring. Well what ever trips your trigger. Not for me though. So do what ya like and enjoy.
(I hope I don't catch HELL for this one, See ya all in the BLUE ROOM. :!: )

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
Good point, But, What about the salt and vinegar content in the mustard? Then you put a rub on with more salt and sugar. Are you not curing the meat epically if you foil it? (steam it) You might as well par boil. :grin: A few years back Morton Quick and Tender was the big deal on the KCBS circuit. Soak pork for a short while and you will have a HUGE smoke ring. Well what ever trips your trigger. Not for me though. So do what ya like and enjoy.

At first mustard prevented the smoke penetration. Now it cures your meat? Make up your mind Chris! 8-[ :D

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Pigs On The Wing BBQ":12rcm1c1]Good point, But, What about the salt and vinegar content in the mustard? Then you put a rub on with more salt and sugar. Are you not curing the meat epically if you foil it? (steam it) You might as well par boil. :grin: A few years back Morton Quick and Tender was the big deal on the KCBS circuit. Soak pork for a short while and you will have a HUGE smoke ring. Well what ever trips your trigger. Not for me though. So do what ya like and enjoy.

At first mustard prevented the smoke penetration. Now it cures your meat? Make up your mind Chris! 8-[ :D[/quote:12rcm1c1]

Maybe it has something to do with being named Chris. :dunno:

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
Could be, Now shut up and go cook something on your gasser and smother it with KRAFT sauce. :) :grin:

I think you are insinuating that I don't make "traditional" BBQ?? :-k

Back
Top Bottom