Modified Store Bought Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
I have two butts that are going to Church in a crockpot for potluck. I think it would be best to sauce the meat. Saucing is not a normal practice here in Arkansas but I feel that it would speed the 50-100 head count line along.

I don't want to use the one I like because it has a bit of heat. I just want a basic mild, thin sauce to bind the meat to the bun.

Has anyone modified kraft or some other cheap sauce to make it thinner and taste like you made it yourself from scratch ?

I am not looking for secrets, just a recipe for making something out of nothing. ;)

You gotta get a hold of some Rev Marvin's.
Use that by itself, or to cut any sauce and Ohhhh Man! It's outstanding!
I tried it a couple butts ago and have been using it ever since.

Try SBR's cut with some honey or apple cider vinegar or make a vinegar sauce ;)

ScottyDaQ said:

Rev Marvin's is on my list but That would be for me and maybe the wife and kids. :LOL:

Cliff H. said:
ScottyDaQ said:

Rev Marvin's is on my list but That would be for me and maybe the wife and kids. :LOL:
The original Rev's would work great cut with some honey :D

Cliff my sauce is thin...it's a vinegar base that has a store bought
thicker sauce added to it. Don't know if your folks over in Ark.
would take to such a strong vinegar taste, but to thin it, maybe
mix some app cider vin with apple juice, then add to a thicker sauce.
Lot's of restaurants use Cattlemans as a base.

The SBR sure doesn't hurt (hint hint).

Captain Morgan said:
Cliff my sauce is thin...it's a vinegar base that has a store bought
thicker sauce added to it. Don't know if your folks over in Ark.
would take to such a strong vinegar taste, but to thin it, maybe
mix some app cider vin with apple juice, then add to a thicker sauce.
Lot's of restaurants use Cattlemans as a base.

The SBR sure doesn't hurt (hint hint).
Cappy my son says....PM daddy the rest of the reicpe... :D

Cliff for pulled pork any tomato base sweet or spicy sauce cut 50/50 with apple cider vinegar works great for the masses!

Never tried Cattlemans before but I picked some up tonight along with apple cider and apple cider vinegar.

I plan to mix a cup or two of apple cider in with the crock pot full of PP in the morning.

I plan to cut the small bottle of sauce with some cider vinegar. Just enought to thin it down a bit.

Heat the the crock pot on high for about three hours stirring every 30 min or so.

Add the sauce in the last 30 min or so and serve.

That sound about right ?

Cliff H. said:
Never tried Cattlemans before but I picked some up tonight along with apple cider and apple cider vinegar.

I plan to mix a cup or two of apple cider in with the crock pot full of PP in the morning.

I plan to cut the small bottle of sauce with some cider vinegar. Just enought to thin it down a bit.

Heat the the crock pot on high for about three hours stirring every 30 min or so.

Add the sauce in the last 30 min or so and serve.

That sound about right ?

Sounds good Cliff!! Just keep an eye on the pork, if it looks like it's drying out go ahead and add the sauce then! If you can warm the sauce before you add it to the crock pot, that will help with your reheating process!

I've never found any bottled sauce I like straight out of the bottle. I always add a bit of ketchup, worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, honey, maple syrup, yellow mustard, onions, and vinegar (apple cider or white) to it. When I'm done, no one would ever guess it's a bought sauce. Most of the time I just make my own sauce using the above ingredients and forego wasting money on sauce.

Cattlemans is available by the gallon from Sam's club, we like the Original and the Smokey, they are about $8.80 / gallon and are well worth looking at if you want a prepped sauce, I will admit to doctoring them up a little too, and I go the Worcestershire and kutchup route with a little tabasco as a warmer. ;)

This come from my old pal Wendell "Fergy" Ferguson. He tweaked on it a lot and claim it just the ticket for a reheat type sauce. Now would forget about that Texas Pete. That stuff is nasty and made by yankees in Ohiya or New Yawk City or some other odd place. Would use Frank's or Siriachi sauce instead if it was me.

bigwheel

>Fergy said this

----- Now You're Cooking! v4.66 [Meal-Master Export Format]

Title: Fergy's Phoenix Sauce for Leftover Q Reheating
Categories: BBQ Mops and Bastes
Yield: 1

1/2 c Worcestershire sauce
1/2 c apple juice; or
1/2 c apple cider vinegar; if
-using for pork
2 tb Imitation Hog's Breath Rub;
-or any rub on hand
3 tb Texas Pete Hot Sauce
water; to fill bottle

Try to heat meat in the heavy duty freezer baggie you stored it in. If
heating on the pit on the pit, remove the meat from the baggie and place
in a disposible aluminum pan.

Otherwise, heat the baggie in hot water or in a microwave.

When heated somewhat, but not completely(unfrozen and mushable
somewhat with your fingers), add 1/4 cup juice o' life to each 4# bag
of meat. Continue to heat until at serving temp. (150-170F).

Continue to stir meat at least once every 15 minutes, mixing top meat with meat that rests on bottom of pan. This circulation and moving of meat is important.

If you are keeping the meat held at 150-160 F. this method will keep meat good for serving for up to 4 hours.

You might not like it this strong. If not use the apple juice. I keep it
in an old squirt bottle that I used for my spray mop, but I lost the
sprayer. I have a 20oz coke bottle top on it that I poked a few holes in
to use as a shaker.

-----

Fergy
The Official Web Site of the BBQ Mail List
http://www.bbq-porch.org/
ICQ #: 2235440

Cliff H. said:
I have two butts that are going to Church in a crockpot for potluck. I think it would be best to sauce the meat. Saucing is not a normal practice here in Arkansas but I feel that it would speed the 50-100 head count line along.

I don't want to use the one I like because it has a bit of heat. I just want a basic mild, thin sauce to bind the meat to the bun.

Has anyone modified kraft or some other cheap sauce to make it thinner and taste like you made it yourself from scratch ?

I am not looking for secrets, just a recipe for making something out of nothing. ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom