Mid week cook for the retired-results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

big dude

Sous Chef
Doing my usual mid week cook today and trying a couple of new things. My first beer can turkey using a Fosters can with herbs. Doing some beer brined catfish filets from a recipe in Mike Mills book. Also doing a slab of baby backs and some beef ribs. I'll let you know how things turn out.

Here's the outcome. The catfish was too salty and too smokey for me-wouldn't do it again. The beer can turkey turned out real good, the breast was moist and infused with the herb flavors-just like beer can chicken. Used Dave Kloses raspberry glaze on the pork ribs and while it was good, I like my usual glaze better. I also did the latticed bacon wrapped fatty and it turned out good - I stuffed it with hashbrowns, onions, peppers, scrambled eggs - forgot the cheese. Next time I will cook at a higher temp to get the bacon crisper. Here's a pic of the fatty and the turkey.
img_182783_0_b84e2050e94f687424b1ec7a29422dbe.jpg

img_182783_1_9528f8102df5bbd360f5c3616a65ebbc.jpg

Captain Morgan said:
wow that fatty looks good...now is that a smoke ring or is the sausage
not cooked through? The meat looks a little pink.

Thats smoke ring - it was cooked to 150* at the center

dollarbill said:
Man that looks really good big. Ive never done the lattuce weaved bacon. How hard is that to do? thanks.

The lattice is real simple and takes about 5 minutes. Just lay the bacon down in one direction to the width of a length of a bacon strip. Fold every other piece back in half and lay a piece of bacon the cross direction. Un fold those strips and fold the other every other pieces back in the same direction and lay another cross piece. Repeat to the end and you'l have it half done. Move to the other side and repeat the process or just watch Paula Dean make a top pie crust sometime. It was hard to seal up the seam after rolling the fatty with the bacon on it, so if I do another one, I'll make up the fatty then roll the bacon around it. Here's the link.
http://www.bbqaddicts.com/blog/recipes/bacon-explosion

I read somewhere that if you want the bacon to be crispier, after weaving, just cook it for a few minutes in the oven before wrapping around the fatty. Gives it head start.

Al

Uncle Al said:
I read somewhere that if you want the bacon to be crispier, after weaving, just cook it for a few minutes in the oven before wrapping around the fatty. Gives it head start.

Al
My wife gave the same advise -so it's probably right

Hello big dude.....:)-

What kind of wood did you use, and how long for the fish?
Maybe try a milder wood(alder or white oak),sounds as if you did all with the Cherry;somewhat too much for fish like Catfish-now on Swordfish or such it could be good, but the Cat is a tender fish and needs TLC. Oh,yes, and RINSE the girl before cooking as the salt will remain too heavy.IMHO :roll:
Good luck next time,
HAPPY SMOKES
OldSchoolBBQ

Back
Top Bottom